X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pmclaine
    started a topic Bought a new gadget...

Bought a new gadget...

Been reloading for 5-6 years and have been without what I knew was a critical piece of gear, probably the first thing I should have bought but didnt, a Chrony.

Saw a brand new in the box MagnetoSpeed Sporter on the Hide at a fair price so I took the plunge...

Click image for larger version

Name:	P6237973.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	36796

Didnt really effect POI at 100 yards using factory FGMM 168 but it shouldnt when you have beefy barrels installed to make up for natures failings...

Name:	P6237975.JPG
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	36797

and I was able to shoot about 1/2 MOA trying to hold the center of the squares with 175 FGMM and the dong attached...

Name:	P6237976.JPG
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	36798

The data for the two factory loads Ill use as a base line for the .308 reloading session Im gearing up for now....

Name:	P6237974.JPG
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	36799

• pmclaine
    replied
    Still having fun.

Shot some more of my reloads today and I was pleased to see the numbers were not that bad.

Hits on target sucked and I know the factor for that was the shooter but heat (91 plus), hot rounds, a "thinner" profile barrel and the magnetospeed may have had an effect.

I zeroed the scope on this rifle with these 42.1 reloads and it was about MOA. Today the 168s were going 2 inches high and the 175s were just about dead zero. The reticle is a mil dot and I held about .6 on my reloads. The 175 I held the bottom of the 1 inch circle.

Rifle...

Bayonet attachment, just noticed I should have threaded the strap back over the barrel into the keeper....

Data.....

168 FGMM

42.1 4064 under 168 Nosler CC

175 FGMM

Leave a comment:

• pmclaine
    replied
    Thanks Steveu,

I run my primer pockets through the scraper station when chamfering/deburring on one of those Hornady case prep motors. Not anal about it but they get a little clean up. Different animal from uniforming though.

This will be my third production run of .308. I produce mass quantities when I set up to load. It seems like each time I set up I tighten up or tweak something that makes each batch better.

The improvements are small but any little bit helps when I am the weakest link.

Leave a comment:

• steveu
    replied
    Phil,
    Glad to see that you got a chronograph. It is a great tool to have. Uniforming primer pockets is one of the things I do on my cases to try to ensure consistent ignition to get the ES down. Also, one other non-reloading issue you could have going on with a large ES is a weak firing pin spring. I would change mine when I saw that I had a problem with a known good load.

Leave a comment:

• pmclaine
    commented on 's reply
    Im not going to neck turn nor will I uniform primer pockets, weigh brass or sort bullets.

The Dillon trim die sizes the necks a bit too much. I get waspy wasted rounds at the neck.

The turning mandrel is in a die after my rapid trim and as Im pulling the handle sizing and trimming it will punch the necks on the final step and should uniform the bullet tension to .002.

I agree with you in regards I dont want to go the benchrest route.

• brent65
    commented on 's reply
    I think way too many people over complicate reloading and make it way harder than it should be, you look like you may be travelling down this road reading this. I get some pretty amazing results from a very basic reloading set up procedure, no neck turning but i do stick with the AR2208 (varget) and 175 SMK's exclusively but I run the same in 2 different rifles and get 1/2 to 1/3 moa groups and the one rifle that groups best has over 4k rds through it. Keep it simple mate don't over complicate the process if you aren't competing in world benchrest

• brent65
    replied
    I have the V3 and they are worth their weight in gold if you are reloading you wont regret this purchase

Leave a comment:

• pmclaine
    replied

First time testing my reloads with QC that went beyond just measuring...

Rifle....

168 FGMM at 200 yards...

My IMR 4064 at 42.6 grains, Nosler 168 CC, WLRP, 2X Fired WCC 13 cases....

Data....

Have to work on that SD 20/ES 62 numbers.

I trim/size using a Dillon Rapid Trim on an S1050 and I think my necks are real tight. I bought a 21st Century Turning Mandel and will try to uniform the necks to see if that will help some.

Checking my bullet seat compared to the FGMM 168s there is a big difference in jump with the ogive on the FGMM being some thousandths shorter than my ammo.

Liking the Magnetospeed. I had to take a lengthy break in the middle of the ammo string shooting my reloads as another club member had a bunch of questions and wanted to show me his girlfriends new Anaconda - nice pistol, nice people, maybe I talked them into a Magnetospeed.

Leave a comment:

• pmclaine
    replied
    I had dreams of a Labradar.

I feared this wouldnt have enough features.

Its perfect.

Size is small when cased 1'L x 4"w x 2"d approx. Fits in side pocket of my rifle pack.

Super easy set up, attach, plug it in, wait for self calibration, shoot. Single page of instructions (laminated) fits in case.

One button to scroll through the data/shot string. Will only erase your data when you want it to.

Shit it comes with the battery (single 9 volt) to run it.

I lucked out getting it for a buck fiddy still in the factory wrapper. I think I like it better than the full option version as this is minimal yet will work with all my rifles. If you shoot cans you might want the extra adapters included in the V3 kit.

Leave a comment:

• m1marty
    replied
    I need one of these.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X