Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some M40 reloading....

Starting to produce .308 again.

I feel that each time I go into production I make some little improvements and get better ammo.

This time I tweaked my headspace to be within +/-.001 of SAAMI standard. My last batch of ammo was about -.003. Im not neck sizing or going to size to each individual rifle.

Length to Ogive is a pretty consistent 2.26. I took this number from the average length to ogive for FGMM 168. When loading 168s for the two rifles I intend to use them in Im not going to tailor to the lands (yet).

The big improvement I think will come from using a 21st Century turning mandrel after the Dillon Rapid Trim/Size die. The Dillon makes the necks too tight and the mandrel die is showing me a consistent .002 tension now. I could notice seating the rounds was a bit more "consistent".

Starting on the M40 to develop a new load.

My old load was 42.1 of I 4064 with a 168 SMK or Nosler CC. This rifle likes 175s but Ill seldom shoot it beyond 600 yards and the 168s worked great 300 and in. Besides I got a ton of 168s and the light rifle/shooter will take slightly less of a beating at 168.

Todays target.

I was using 42.1 as the middle and going lower and higher. All groups are 3 shots. I screwed up and shot one of my 42.9 rounds into my sighter target Take the middle of the sighter group and move it over to 42.9.

Going to 42.9 was an afterthought. I only loaded them because I wanted to keep the shell plate full as I was loading the 42.7s. Had a stiffer bolt lift and its not where I think this rifle wants to be.

Ill be investigating 42.3 a bit more.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	P7288027.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.56 MB ID:	37569

Gratuitous rifle shot....

Click image for larger version  Name:	P7288026.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.51 MB ID:	37570
    Last edited by pmclaine; 07-28-2018, 09:27 PM.
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

42.3 looks real good. I am interested to see what a 10 shot group looks like and the velocity.

Comment

I'm going to shoot same argent in groups of three with the magnetospeed for velocities on all of them.

My old 42.1 velocity has likely changed because I'm letting the rounds seat out slightly to a 2.26 base to ogive.

More to follow.
      "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Same loads with a Magnetospeed under the bore.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	P8088081.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	37796

Data.

Name:	P8088075.JPG
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	37797

Name:	P8088076.JPG
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	37798

I dont know how statistically significant three rounds of data represents but Im feeling pretty good about 42.3.

Im guessing its a low node which for the intended use for that rifle probably wont hurt me too much.

Comment

Back at it tonight finishing up a load for my M40. Powder is IMR 4064...

Click image for larger version  Name:	P9018208.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.42 MB ID:	38218
          A picture with the target removed shows a better story....

Click image for larger version  Name:	P9018209.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	38219

42.4 has a group of eight and two flyers, the far right one which I called. 42.3 shows a four round group and a 6 round group.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P9018207.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.76 MB ID:	38220
          Data looks good. for my sighters in the first picture 43.3 and 42.4 landed basically on top of each other. Prior data for 42.5 was decent and that three round group was nicely triangulated. I think 42.4 gets me in the middle of a good spot...

Click image for larger version  Name:	P9018206.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.65 MB ID:	38221

Next up the LMT MWS .308.
          Last edited by pmclaine; 09-02-2018, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Working...
            X