168 gr. SMK at 1000 yards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 168 gr. SMK at 1000 yards

Quick share of a bullet display I made in the early 1990s of 168 gr. SMKs fired from my then-newly made M40A1. Muzzle velocity was 2660 fps. This was before the 175 SMKs were made, and before the 168s knew they were supposed to be unstable at 1k yards, lol! No core-locking, so sucky bullets for hunting, but I thought it was interesting how the lead just squirted out the front of the jackets like this. Dug out of the mountainside at my 1000 yard steel plate target (yeah, these were misses. Shame on me!)

You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

That is the best bullet display I've ever seen!
    DW

Comment

Shot the 1000 yard range at Sig Sauer back in May.

Kid beside me was using the rifle pictured below.

He was using 168 grain Sig Sauer ammo.

He had bought the rifle specifically to learn LR shooting and it was new to him that week as he went through PSR1, PSR2, and PSR3 classes.

His scope was bought new at Sig and mounted that first class he attended. It broke the afternoon before the class I was in and was new and unzeroed the morning we started.

Sig advised him about building up the comb and it doesnt look like he went nearly far enough but.......

On the 1000 yard line he was crushing steel.

So according to the experts.....his budget M700 would never be accurate due to crappy QC and a shitty stock. He would be lucky to extract/eject brass because the timing is all off on the bolt. His 168 SMKs would hit a wall at 800 yards and drop dead from the sky. None of that happened. Might even be a Caldwell bipod which should have bent on him at first recoil.

What was a bummer was the death of the Sig scope considering all the mil contracts they seem to be getting.

I always found 168s more accurate at the ranges I typically shoot but believe in the idea 175s do better beyond 600 yards.

Ive standardized all my .30 caliber to 175 SMK just so I dont have to make the small zero adjustments or have two sets of data.

Thinking I should just concern myself with whats cheaper to buy the most of.

Last edited by pmclaine; 07-08-2020, 05:22 AM.
      "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

What was the temp and humidity that day? Higher temps and humidity make the SMK 168 go farther before destabilizing. Also, was Sig using the 168 SMK's? A simple change of boat-tail angle helps a lot. It ain't no Berger, but it'll get the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by sandwarrior View Post
          What was the temp and humidity that day? Higher temps and humidity make the SMK 168 go farther before destabilizing. Also, was Sig using the 168 SMK's? A simple change of boat-tail angle helps a lot. It ain't no Berger, but it'll get the job done.
          It was about 28 years ago, and at that time I only logged round count, range and group sizes, so it's hard to say what the exact conditions were. All I can say is it was an average late winter/spring west coast day. Humidity is never high nor low there, and the temperature was likely between 65 and 85.

Funny thing. Earlier today I was digging out my old topo maps because the Pohakuloa Training Center area on the Big Island looked completely different to me last time I was over there on vacation than when I was training there in the mid.'80s. Comparing the map to a satellite view revealed that the highway had been rerouted to the other side of the airstrip and facility! No wonder I was discombubriated. Anyhow, I also found the map I used for finding 1000 yards between hills where I shot these bullets, and the elevation was about 2690' at the firing position, and 2860' at the target. So, not exactly sea level, but not really up there either.
          You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

Originally posted by sandwarrior View Post
            If referencing me mid to low 70s, dry, sun.

168 SMK...

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/308wi...grade-otm.html

FGMM clone probably.
            "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

• SemperFi
              SemperFi commented
              Editing a comment
              With the reference to Sig, he probably was directing it to you. Sorry I didn't catch that.

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
          X