Rem 700 right out of the box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rem 700 right out of the box

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this.....
    purchased a new Rem 700 awhile back and put it in a McMillan M40A1 stock. Took it to a friend's range in CT and had a number of failure to fire. Checked the primers and noticed light strikes on each. We changed the bolt from another rifle and no more ftfs. I purchased a new Wolf spring and firing pin and will give it a try next time I go up to my friends range.

Do you think that changing the spring and firing pin will solve the problem?

I should mention that I replaced the stock Rem trigger with a Romney two stage trigger. Being predominantly a M14 Rifle shooter, I'm used to a two stage trigger. Bolt guns are new to me.

Should have said Timney not Romney.....lol anti-virus sucks!

Comment

Auto-correct

Comment

On my 700 w/j-lock firing pin, I had to cut a bunch of coils off to keep it from binding up. I think it had a long action spring. Maybe you got a XP-100 spring!
        Fyi, cold temperatures will effect a weak spring to cause the problems that you had.

Cheers,
        Steve

Comment

It wasn't cold at all when we shot it.

Comment

It's the trigger believe it or not!
            Take the Timney out and it will work ; )
            DW

Comment

We swapped bolts and it worked like a champ. I have the same Timney trigger in my M40 and have no issues with it.

Comment

• deltawiskey
                deltawiskey commented
                Editing a comment
                It has to do with the sear engagement... I had a new rifle that did the exact same thing with a Timney trigger, I traded out the trigger and haven't had a single issue with light strikes.
                I have three other rifles with a Timney trigger and have never had an issue....
                DW

• Hawk
                Hawk commented
                Editing a comment
                I certainly hope it's not an issue with all Romney triggers as I really like to shoot two stage. I will change out the trigger if need be as I have a spare Timney two stage.

It's not a good idea to swap bolts between rifles unless you know for a fact the headspace (bolt face to case shoulder) is set the same on both.
              You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

Working...
              X