Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beretta 92 w/ competition long slide kit (not exactly an M9...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beretta 92 w/ competition long slide kit (not exactly an M9...)

No one has really posted on this M9 pistol thread, but since I do have one Beretta 92 pistol, here's my contribution to this quiet thread. Context: A couple of years ago, I found in my local gun store an unusual Beretta 92 "Competition kit" from the late 1990s that was NOS/unfired (kit came with the slide, spring, unique barrel removal tools, rear sight adjustment tool, and a set of right-handed wooden target grips with thumb relief). I kind-of like target pistols, so I bought it basically as a novelty. I didn't have a Beretta pistol, so I then got a M9A1 to mount the long slide on, so its now a funky looking Beretta 92 longslide target pistol.

These old competition kits have a longish 7.25" barrel, and when my gun smith did a trigger job on it, and installed the Elite-style hammer, he joked about it being a "rhino Beretta" - if you look at the pics you'll note that the slide has the small standard front sight, and also another much larger/taller front sight that is required with the higher adjustable rear sight. So it kind-of looks like two horns found on rhinoceros... I shot 20 rds thru it a couple of years ago, but it has stayed in the back of the safe, as I've been shooting mostly rifles that past few years. (I did buy one of those fancy Italian Negrino pistol cases for it as well).

FWIW, a year or two ago I saw a short clip from some European movie about three hitman, and there was a stand-off scene where I think all 3 of the hitman were each armed with two of these longslide Berettas, so I guess these long slides might be popular in Europe (at least for movie props), but I think they are kind-of unusual here in the US. Anyhow, my "rhino Beretta" will not to be confused with a standard US military M9 pistol, but its my contribution to the M9 thread. (Part of me wishes I had a full-tilt Beretta 92 match pistol built by a 2112, but I don't think I'll ever be able to use something like that to its full potential).
    Last edited by Random Guy; 01-06-2017, 10:24 AM.

I have never seen one of these...thanks for posting this!
    Very cool Beretta
    DW

Comment

Sorry if I'm pulling this off topic, I have a soft spot for Beretta target pistols, this is my Model 89 .22lr

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02100.JPG
Views:	3920
Size:	5.02 MB
ID:	24326

DW

Comment

deltawishey, I understand the model 89 is a nice shooting target pistol too. Neat for sure.

Comment

It looks like a David Sams build. If it is they aren't cheap at all. Its a bullseye match pistol. Super accurate but they tend to wear out over time. The dissimilar metals wear between the slide and frame. Also prone to the usual locking block issues. I am so glad that the CMP opened the rules up to allow 1911's to run anything between 9mm and 45acp.

Comment

DeepC, my Beretta 92 is definitely not a David Sams build, its just an M9A1 with an interesting 1990s era Beretta competition kit (long slide/ 7.25" barrel and target grips), and a trigger job.
            The David Sams Beretta M92 is full-blown custom target pistol, here's from his website (also attached is a picture from his website of a National Match Model 92 pistol):

http://samscustomgunworksusa.com/services/handguns.html

NATIONAL MATCH BERETTA -- CMP SERVICE

- Frame Rail Inserts Installed (lap fit) (My NOTE: The USMC 2112 guys showed me how they install the 4 tool steel inserts on the aluminum frame rails of the USMC match M9s - its a lot of tedious work...)
            - Match Grade KKM Barrel* (fitted) hood, bottom rails, and breech end timed
            - Kensight Rear / Target Front Sights*
            - Overtravel Trigger*
            - Trigger Job – 3 ½ or 4 lbs (match legal)*
            - Slide barrel opening machined - fit to bushing installed on barrel (lap fit) (My NOTE: The USMC 2112 guys even thread and install a small Allen head screw on the top of the slide near the front sight, that apparently allows the shooter to adjust presure on the barrel bushing?! - at least that is what they showed me on one of the USMC match M9s...)
            - Threaded Barrel Bushing Installed
            - Internal Barrel Stabilizer Installed
            - Matte Black Re-finish Upper Unit*
            - Tested at 50 yds / Guaranteed Accuracy (match standards)* Normally 1.3" or less - 10 shots - 50 yds from a H.E.G. mechanical fixture
            Options:
            Tungsten Guide Rod
            Checkering Front and Back Strap
            Re-anodizing frame
            Trigger shoe -- machined to customer spec (width & length)
            Replace any plastic factory parts with metal
            Frame scope mount
            SCG compensator
            Match Grade .22 conversion unit

* Each pistol is built one at a time. Normal waiting period is 6-8 months.

*Call for price quotes on specific options

DeepC comment: " Super accurate but they tend to wear out over time. The dissimilar metals wear between the slide and frame. Also prone to the usual locking block issues"

I'm not sure that I would agree with regard to today's "national match" Beretta 92 pistols. To mitigate the issue of wear re the aluminum frame and steel slide, David Sams (and the 2112s at PWS who build the USMC match M9 pistols) carefully machine slots into the aluminum frame rail and insert steel "frame rails". These hard steel inserts are slightly oversized, and are carefully filed down just enough to allow the slide to work on the frame, while minimizing any horizotal or vertical movement of the slide on the frame. Along with machining and installing the tightly fitted barrel bushing, these steel frame rails are a big part of the time and expense of making a "national match" 92 pistol.

Thus, all moving/sliding contact surfaces b/t the slide and frame are steel-to-steel once these "frame rails" are installed, thereby mitigating the typical wear issues with dissimilar metals. I wish I would have taken some pictures last time I was at PWS of the M9 frame that a 2112 had built for one of the USMC match pistols. Its a lot of hand-filing work, but I think David Sams was the inventor of this methodology, and it apparently works. I read that some of these match pistols have reportedly 90k or 100k rounds thru them (!?).

As for the locking block issues, Beretta is now on the third generation of locking blocks, and I think they are good for about 30k or 40k(?) rounds. I'll see if I can get some pictures, but the ones that have been using for the past several years are far superior to the original design from the 1980s, so I don't think 2112s consider the locking blocks as an issue, at least they didn't tell me that when they showed me all the tweaks/mods that they do the USMC match M9s.

If I had a donor M9/M92 pistol to spare, I would consider having one made, but my only pistol project right now is the PWS-built MEUSOC 1911 that I should get sometime this spring...Anyhow, I certainly wouldn't mind a David Sams built 92, but for now all I have is my funky "rhino Beretta"..
            Last edited by Random Guy; 01-09-2017, 10:57 AM.

Comment

love these pistols. can you post a pic of your longslide?

Comment

I can tell you from the current 12's I know and from the competitive shooters side, we don't like them. The military still rates them at 10k rounds. Which is why everyone is waiting for the results from the pistol trials that the Army requested. We can't go to the range without one going down. The civilian side doesn't see this as most people never put that many rounds through a gun. I thought it was one of the mountain competition guns at first glance. You have a very unique pistol. I didn't mean to bring any negative to it and if I did I am sorry. It looks cool. The match pistols.... They have to do the work to the slides to increase the tension between the slide and frame. This again is due to the aluminum. They have to rework the front sight for a taller blade and add the rear sight. The trigger gets worked and the shoe is added due to the song pull it has. This is all for chase of low recoil before the 185 grain JHP ammo was allowed in the 1911. Now that has all changed.
                Last edited by DeepC Infidel; 01-06-2017, 07:28 PM.

Comment

DeepC, no worries re my oddball pistol, I guess I like oddball/unique stuff like a longslide Beretta 92. On a personal note, I like old-school 1911s considerably more than the Beretta 92 pistol.
                  FWIW, I did find a picture in Scott Meadow's book re the US military pistols of a PWS-built M9 match pistol (attached). Just an fyi.

Comment

cool find. The new rules were just dropped and I am already getting everything together for a 9mm 1911. Slide and frame are ordered anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X