A New Arrival

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Arrival

The rifle and separate optic arrived today.

Gets your hands just coated with linseed oil and get to know each other better.
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

She's pretty well perfumed right now, I may just shoot her.

Comment

Beautiful combo. Let us know how she shoots.

DT

Comment

Originally posted by D_TROS View Post
          Beautiful combo. Let us know how she shoots.

DT
          Will do! It may be a while as it looks like rain all weekend as what's left of the hurricane passes over us.

I did order some of the Creedmoor 167gr Lapua from CMP. I'll try that, the Hornady 168 ELD-Ms, the FGMM and keep the Talon's for foulers. BTW - that Talon stuff (the de-linked, not the reman) has always shot well in my rifles at 100y. I've not really taken it further.

Comment

I have decided to call her "Olivia."

Comment

• pmclaine
              pmclaine commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe Ill name my Model 70 "Hrunting" or perhaps "Tyrfing".

Whichever name it doesnt get will go on my next M1903.

Hey Phil,

Reference the Unertl, how many foot pounds did you use on the base screws? I took it out today and applied 40ftlbs. Secondly, how tight/loose is the tube in the channel? Mine seems to only move an inch or two per shot, which seems less than some I saw on the line at Quantico. Simply wondering if it may be too tight in the recoil channel. TIA.

pmclaine

Comment

• pmclaine
              pmclaine commented
              Editing a comment
              By base screws Im assuming you mean the thumbscrews on the Unertl mounts?

I just tightened those to hand snug, no tools, just thumb and index finger to the point the knurling was digging into my hand but with the idea in mind if I strip them Im screwed.

Than I check them every once in a while. They always seemed tight.

A little purple or blue loc tite in the half moon of the cut may add peace of mind. Dont use any loc tite on the mount itself.

40 FOOT pounds seems really tight for anything related to optics.

My scope would usually recoil perhaps 1/2 inch each shot. I just developed a habit of grasping the tube between index and middle fingers to bring it back to battery after each shot.

Sometimes I forgot. Impact wont change much, in fact cplnorton has photos of Marines looking like they fired a case of ammo based on how far out of battery their scopes are.

Still for consistency pull it back.

I put a light drop of oil on the Pope rib and areas that ride the tube on recoil. Go sparingly, you dont want oil migrating inside the tube.

• Defender3
              Defender3 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the terminology updates. I put a bit of lubriplate grease on the Pope's rib and simply used a silicone cloth on the rest of the tube to preserve it,

Yes, I tightened the thumbscrews to 40lbs. It seemed to work so I'll just leave them alone. I use foot pounds on my mounts to rail and 25 inch pounds on the rings for my modern rifles.

Seems my scope is moving about the same distance as yours so I'll consider it GTG.

• Defender3
              Defender3 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm bout a dumbass - 40 inch pounds.

Alright, HouseHold 6 asked if I could leave the house today and go shooting. Okay by me, light winds and mid-40's, so a decent day. I took the USMC Sniper out to sight as I put a Unertl 8x on it. I took the lead sled with me as the local 100y range rarely has a spot for prone and I thought the rifle could be further off than it was. It was an easy 3-rounds to sight at 25 yards and then shoot some factory ammo at 100 to see how she shoots. I usually don't shoot from a sled so this was different. I know the rifle can do better, but trying to firm the rifle and follow through just wasn't happening. You can see it in some of the groups where there's stringing.

The rifle was easy shooting and I can't wait to get it on a bag and introduce some precision. I need to get used to the trigger as it's different than my 03A4, seems to almost have a spot where it hangs a bit before it breaks.

I should have used the flash, but I thought this shots with the dark were cool.

"Olivia" on the lead sled:

Looking down to 100:

In profile:

Differing factory ammo. I know I can tighten up these groups when I get on a bag and can shoulder the rifle and follow-through. M2 ball, not so good, Creedmoor 167gr Lapua Scenars, not so good. Hornady 168ELD-M good.

FGMM 168gr good.

Comment

Not a fan of lead sleds. You interrupt natural recoil and force the barrel up or some direction other than where it should be.

Posted some photos at SH of 168 Nos CC and 46 gr of 4064 in mixed brass.

1.5 inches or so with 2 or 3 stacked is more typical.

Go to bags and let the rifle recoil straight back.

The trigger is a two stage so you get slack, stop, bang.

Its never been worked as far as I know so it may benefit from some stoning.
              "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

• Defender3
                Defender3 commented
                Editing a comment
                I hear ya. I'm going to a different range this coming weekend where I can go prone and get this set-up for 300. I expect the groups to tighten and will do more work with the factory Hornady and the FGMM. This winter I'll set up the 30-06 dies and do some reloading with the loads you posted.

The trigger feels different from my A4 so I'll stone it just a hair.

• pmclaine
                pmclaine commented
                Editing a comment
                I rarely get to shoot prone, most often its after work shooting, off the bench due to attire inappropriate for laying down.

Shooting at Sig on Saturday it was pure pleasure to get the rifle as closely lined up with my spine as physically possible than after releasing the sear having the gun come straight back into all my fat mass.

Shots felt so much better mechanically if somewhat more painful as Im interfacing rifle to collar bone/neck pocket rather than shoulder to arm pocket.

Prone allows you to get that force lever two or three inches closer to the fulcrum and make it less likely/easier for the recoil of the rifle to move the lever.

Use physics to your advantage if you can. I wish I could more often.

Regards my 46 grain 4064 load.....

Its a pretty soft shooting load, Garand safe.

Because I load for a Garand I use 4064.

Much better powders for bolt 30-06 out there.

Probably best group I ever shot with an IRON SIGHT 03 was 10 rounds using RL19....

Click image for larger version  Name:	imagejpeg_2_zps1e48af5b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	85.2 KB ID:	39663
              Last edited by pmclaine; 11-13-2018, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• Defender3
                Defender3 commented
                Editing a comment
                That's some nice shooting! I'll have to check my powder fort, but I have H4350, Varget, some 4895 and RL15, 17, 19 & 26. I'll open up the reloading manuals and see what will work for the 30-06 with the premise of chasing accuracy first, not velocities.

• pmclaine
                pmclaine commented
                Editing a comment
                Im new to chronographs but Im finding conventional wisdom 2700 for 168 and 2600 for 175 is wisdom for good reason.

• Defender3
                Defender3 commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm going to have to check the velocities claimed on the factory boxes. FGMM is a 168gr round and supposedly right at 2700fps. I have QuickLoad so I can do some modeling on velocities and check when the round goes trans-sonic before I drop powder. If I could get 2725-2750fps with accuracy I'd be very happy.

ETA - Doesn't look like getting above 2700fps will be easy with the heavier class of bullets.

Using a 178gr ELD-M and 56.5grs of RL19 will get you to 2618fps at 49130psi, but the load is 2.1% compressed. Same load with the 168gr ELD-M is 2615fps with only a 0.4% compression. Using the 178 ELD-M with 54grs of RL-17 produces 2727fps at 48670psi, but combustion isn't complete until after the bullet leaves the barrel.

I'm going to have to read up on the 30-06. With the length of the cartridge and the design, it seems I may need a slower powder, but one that fully burns.
                Last edited by Defender3; 11-13-2018, 04:52 PM.
            Working...
            X