Odd serial number mark 1903

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd serial number mark 1903

Hello, I have a 1903 Springfield that’s a sporter but my question is the serial number is seven digits and the last 6 digits are stamped very clean and light but the 1st number is totally different than the rest? As if it was added later? Barrel date is 1918 and 6 digits would put it in that range with the barrel. But that 1st number 1 is different font and depth I guess. Thanks

A pic would help.

Comment

Maybe this will help

Comment

Comment

1 looks to have been added, 6 digit, circa 1911 for the remainder

Comment

Anymore info on this weird serial number?

Comment

Someone wanted to change a lower value "low number" Springfield into a higher value " high number" Springfield.
              "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Pm that’s what I thought after doing some more research of the below 800,000 serial range, thinking maybe someone marked it to a higher number to assume it’s safer to shoot when they sold it possibly. The 499040 puts it at 1911 manufacture and its a 1918 dated barrel, with the odd 1 it would be 1937 manufacture with a 1918 barrel which doesn’t make sense. A 1937 action with a 1918 barrel no dice lol!!
                thanks for the help men I appreciate it!!

Comment

Note.....Much research these days seems to indicate "low number" guns are not the explodium people have been lead to believe.

The USMC fought two wars with them and in both cases the enemy was the bigger threat. Aparently the first day on Guadacanal K- Bars and coconuts were more dangerous than the Japanese or their well cared for 03s...been there...

CplNorton has uncovered evidence that seems to indicate some of the "low number" bitching was politics, maybe an attempt to keep contracts going during the interwar years, ie typical swamp.

"...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Comment

I don't believe the "1" on your rifle has been added. Mine looks exactly the same. And the "1" on my earlier gun looks the same, too. Also note that the six-digit gun's serial number is more centered over the shelf on the receiver ring. The last digit on your rifle and my 1.4M rifle are also in exactly the same place.

As for the barrel date, mine has a 10-31 barrel on it. As far as I've ever read, these guns built between the wars were assembled from whatever parts were left laying around and it's not uncommon for barrel dates to vary wildly from serial number birthdays.

If the finish on your gun is consistent throughout, it may never have been apart....

Comment

Lets see if there are any hits in post number 3638 here...SRS is a record of mentions concerning various Springfield guns within the historical archives. I will delete the thread if you do not agree to its posting.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....37260&page=364

1.499 would be a very late receiver but as Skunk stated everything from 1.3, maybe earlier, on was a receiver built between the wars using whatever parts were around.

Some very nice rifles came from this group particularly USMC shooting team rifles and eventually the 1941 Springfields with telescopic sights used by the Marines in WWII.

More pictures of your rifle please particularly around the barrel shank, butt plate, the hardness punch dot on the right rail of the front receiver ring is interesting.

Guys with good knowledge can read a lot of info based on the details of the build.

Comment

Mine is sporterized with no buttplate, it’s all very interesting thanks for the reply’s

Comment

Any additional marks on the barrel?

An "A" that looks stamped after the manufacture date?

a picture of the barrel shank would be good.

Comment

SRS info.......

1499040 No hits
                              Closest:

1499840RCVR 051738DCM RIFLE SALES 1922-42

Comment

Working...
                              X