XM24 questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XM24 questions

Hey fellas, I recently inherited a clone correct M24, with the one caveat that it is chambered in 300 WinMag not 308.

I’ve never seen a picture picture of an XM24 fielded with the original M24 trim like I have: HS precision stock, etc. Were any fielded that way?

If I were to make this more correct, do I need an early accuracy international stock? Something else? I imagine I’d also need to upgrade the scope from the Leupold Ultra fixed 10x?

Any/all feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

The only XM24 I have heard off is the one in the NRA museum. A Rem 700 in 300 win mag, hs precision stock, 1/12 twist Rock barrel. This was apparently an early prototype for the M24. As for M24's in 300 win mag, Remington made the M24 for both the mitary and civilian market. Its not unusual to find a real M24 in 300 win mag. As for the military purchase of M24's in 300 win mag caliber, well to be honest, I don' know of any.

Comment

With regards an ai stock. AI actually made a run of stocks for the M24 which were long action but used the 308 mags, this was a solicitation for the chassis system and only a certain number were made.

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

There was a thread on the old Hide site a long time ago-I haven’t been back there much since the new site-where some BTDT types said there were a few of them in use in the early GWOT (I want to say with Army SF?) that had the AI stocks?

A buddy of mine has the Poyer US sniper book, and that says it was fielded with an aluminum Remington chassis stock.?

Comment

Hello Kahune post some pictures of the XM24-M24 rifle I never heard of a XM24 I looked at the one in the NRA museum and learned something new ,thank you geoff3

Comment

Comment

Looks like my reply under the photo got lost. What
              I wanted to say is this:

Since I’m looking at this particular rifle as a collector piece and not a shooter, what’s the best path to make this as accurate a .mil clone as possible with the least effort?

So I had thought this was, “as-is”, an XM24 clone. If that turns out not to be the case (??), what’s my best path to a good 99% accurate .mil clone? An AI stock? A different scope?

Or should I just put a correct .308 barrel on it, sell the 300WM and call it a day as a M24 clone?

Comment

Hello it looks like a M24 300-Win Mag with MARS rail Leupold Ultra-10X-M3 ARD I like the way the rifle looks I wouldn't change anything just my 2 cents ,geoff3

Comment

• deltawiskey
                  deltawiskey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree with you geoff3, I'd leave it as is also...its Bad-Ass!
                  DW

A small number of M24A2 rifles were evaluated. Detachable magazine in 300 Win Magnum, MARs Rail, suppressor, improves HS Precison stock, etc.

Comment

Hey thanks RG-sorry I didn’t see this sooner. Any idea what stock that is?

Comment

The stock appears to be an H-S Precision stock, possibly a PST026
                    https://www.hsprecision.com/shop2/ri...t026/?___SID=U

...modified for the detachable magazine bottom metal, etc.

Comment

H-S Precision offers a detachable box magazine option, which I presume the M24A2 had:

https://www.hsprecision.com/shop2/detachable-magazines/

Comment

Random Guy the M24a2 was 308 not 300, it had a HS pst026 stock, ops inc 3rd model suppressor, mars rail, original rifle had hs precision detachable bottom metal and used hs 10 rd mags, mk4 m3 3.5-10x40 scope, later rifles used Badger ddm and ai mags I believe. Never offically adopted by the Army, but units such as 3rd ID, 82nd, 101st, 10th Mt and the 25th had rifles changed over by Remington. Theres a few pictures out of rifles in the wild.

Comment

Kahuna, hows the rifles action marked, obviously the barrel is wrong, the stock looks correct, is the buttplate rubber marked Remington or HS. The mag spring, follower and magbox used in the M24 are different than those used in the standard Rem 700 long action in order for the 308 to work flawlessly. A fair number of real M24's out there since Remington released the rebuilds.

Comment

I am definitely not expert on the mysterious M24A1 and M24A2, and you may be right, but here's what is reflected in Poyer's book on page 105 (Collecting the American Sniper Rifle 1945 to 2000). His book has several errors, but I don't know if this is one of them or not:

"The M24A1 and A2 are attempts to provide a more capable sniper rifle as well as expand the sniper franchise. The A1 version remains in 7.62 x 51mm NATO caliber but the A2 is chambered in .300 Winchester Magnum...(he goes on to discuss the M24A3 in 338 Lapua with a Accuracy International Chassis, and ends that section with this sentence)..."Neither the A2 or the A3 systems were acquired in quantity by the U.S. military)"
                            Source: Remington Arms Company

That's all I know....

Comment

Working...
                            X