Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Model 70 Sniper build sheet

This is going to be my build sheet.

There are photos here that other members have posted. Im using them to try and get my builder to understand what Im asking for. If that is not desired let me know, I apologize and will stop using your pictures.

If you guys can add any input it would be appreciated.

Win Model 70 Build

1. Blueprint/true receiver and bolt - https://pre64win.com/collections/ser...n-blueprinting

2. Cut clip slot in receiver, Drill/Tap a new forward hole so a mount for different scope is still an option. The drill and tap will require more discussion to find a base that will fit. I have a Redfield 70A base but I think when the clip slot is cut it will wipe out the front hole. These rifles pictured are USMC rifles that Marine armorers have drilled and tapped the rear bridge, unknown what bases they mounted in place.

I want the option to do this in the future

Truth be told Im contemplating not doing the clip slot in order to allow the mounting of a Redfield base if desired.
    Last edited by pmclaine; 01-20-2018, 10:52 AM.
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Last weekend my buddy and I finally reassembled my now black Unertl scope mounts and mounted my 10x Unertl to replace my 10x Lyman scope. I’m curious about your build and the pics.

Comment

• pmclaine
      pmclaine commented
      Editing a comment
      Interested to see how the anodizing went, any pictures? Perhaps a tutorial on taking apart the mounts?

3. Install/chamber/extractor cut/finish crown on Douglas barrel- https://pre64win.com/collections/ser...nt=54812126101
    a. Length -26 inch overall length, 25.5 inches from lug/receiver shoulder. Barrel on top is an in the white Shooting team take off. Barrel on the bottom is a Douglas field rifle take off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Douglas Barrels Taped.jpg Views:	1 Size:	64.8 KB ID:	33631

b. Recessed crown as shown on barrel to the right. Exact dimensions pending.

c. USMC markings on barrel

Date of install you can of course use 2018 and other markings as ATF requires you to use.

Last edited by pmclaine; 01-20-2018, 10:49 AM.
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

d. Example of USMC extractor cuts, yours will probably look a lot better
      Click image for larger version  Name:	162FQ7O.jpg Views:	1 Size:	254.1 KB ID:	33628

e. Drill/tap for front iron sight mount even though USMC did not add a block on their Douglas barrels.

Click image for larger version  Name:	photo83774.jpg Views:	1 Size:	104.8 KB ID:	33629

The USMC did it and right now my inclination is to also do it but this is another detail I may skip.

f. Match 30-06 chamber capable of taking 175 SMKs. I’ll probably shoot a lot of 168 SMKs also.

Last edited by pmclaine; 01-20-2018, 10:49 AM.

Comment

4. Install front and rear scope blocks for ¼ inch adjustments on a Unertl – 7.2 spacing. See photo of USMC rifle with scope mounted for correct mount option Marines used.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Marine sniper.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	33632

5. Open barrel channel in Sporter stock to accept Douglas barrel

a. Use screw as a “dummy” to fill barrel tension screw hole in its present location. See pictures of known USMC rifle. Looks like Marines used the flat hidden front trigger bow screw with an escutcheon to fill the hole.
        Im fine with using existing tension screw and nut to fill the hole.

Name:	inside stock channel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	33633

Name:	outside stock channel.jpg
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	33634

Last edited by pmclaine; 01-20-2018, 10:44 AM.

Comment

6. Match bed stock for barreled action/bottom metal. Give me specs for proper recommended torque on action screw. The Douglas is a heavy barrel. If pillars can be installed to help hang that barrel/better insure accuracy lets do pillars.

7. Reblue - For bluing descriptions reference these photos

Click image for larger version  Name:	satin, fine, beaded 2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	790.9 KB ID:	33636
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Satin, Fine polish, beaded.JPG Views:	1 Size:	357.7 KB ID:	33637

a. Barrel will be satin blue - Top Barrel in picture of three barrels

b. Bolt body/handle/extractor/shroud/safety blade will be satin blue- Same as Top Barrel

c. Receiver, trigger bow, mag box, mag plate, butt plate, sling swivels will be beaded/iron plate blue - Same as two trigger bows on the right and the mag floor plate on top.

Things to be decided.....
          1. Clip slot
          2. front iron sight drill/tap
          3. Pillars
          Last edited by pmclaine; 01-20-2018, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Damn,

Looks like all pictures are only visible if you use Firefox with the photobucket patch.

Comment

Interested to see how the anodizing went, any pictures? Perhaps a tutorial on taking apart the mounts?
              Well, I sent the mounts off for anodizing but after 2 attempts at etching and anodizing, he was not able to anodize my silver mounts black.
              So last summer I sent them off to Wingsong in Alabama to have the "Black T" finish applied to the mounts a dozen or so other parts They came out nice, but I wish they had a little more "shinny' finish than the matte black, but its good enough and looks much more "correct" than a scope with silver mounts.
              This autumn I re-painted the dial markings with white paint (rather tedious process), and last weekend I finally visited my buddy who knew how to dissemble and re-assembly these old scope mounts. Their are a lot of parts involved with these mounts and I'm glad he knew how to re-assemble them correctly.

Attached are the before and after pictures. This project was started in the summer of 2016, but it is now complete as I wanted it to have a 10X Unerrtl with black mounts instead of the Lyman Super TargetSpot 10x scope...Anyhow, I hope to take it to Quantico in the summer of 2018 and try it at some extended distances.
              Last edited by Random Guy; 01-20-2018, 05:43 PM.

Comment

• pmclaine
                pmclaine commented
                Editing a comment
                Those came out very nice.

Don't know how the Marines did it but they colored all their shit in finishes we can't recreate......from the "oily finish" Unertl mounts to the pee green parkerizing.

They did this to screw us.

Thanks, it was a long time coming to finally finish this project...good luck finishing up your M70.

Comment

• pmclaine
                pmclaine commented
                Editing a comment
                Im feeling confident in the builder. I think its going to be a great project.

My only misgivings are....

1. The clip slot. Im thinking I may leave the rear reciver uncut and that would allow me to mount a 70A Redfield base and maybe run a Redfield 3-9X if I want a sturdier optic.

2. Drilling and tapping for the front iron sight block. The USMC did it but why do I want to have a little place for rust to develop.

3. Pretty sure Ill go pillars. Not much meat in the wood stock at the rear action screw though. Ill leave it up to the good decision making skills of the builder.

In order to see all the pictures Ive stolen online you need to add the Photobucket Fix patches and run either Firefox or Chrome as your browser.

Firefox patch here....

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...=cb-dl-created

Chrome patch here....

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...alioapbifiaedg

Thanks to SteveU for making me aware of this fix.

Comment

At Fed Ex, the count down begins.......

I decided against clip slotting and muzzle drill/taps.

Its only a faux sniper so why eliminate the option to mount a 3-9X Redfield if I choose to do so.

Comment

It begins.....

Name:	barrel tenon 2.jpeg
Size:	722.4 KB
ID:	34218

Name:	barrel tenon.jpeg
Size:	542.6 KB
ID:	34219

Comment

Who's doing the 'smith work for you?

Comment

Justin Hale

Pre64win.com

Has been excellent to work with, great communication.

Comment

• SemperFi
                        SemperFi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Interesting way to clamp and index the barrel. No steady rest marks around the barrel. A blued barrel that needs to be set back could be done this way with minimal marring.

• pmclaine
                        pmclaine commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You guys that understand what these pictures show your comments on the technicals of the operation highly interest me.

I have no idea what Im looking at but wish I did.

This could be ass backwards for all I know but really the only metric I judge by is what it will do on paper.

I think a lot of his work entails "restoration" of valuable guns. Owners that want Pas model 70 freshened up but dont want to lose patina that was added by Pa.

Name:	barrel1.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	34263

Name:	barrel2.jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	34264

Comment

• SemperFi
                        SemperFi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ah! Well, there's the steady rest on the barrel closer to the work.
                    Working...
                    X