Collapse

My Model 70 Sniper build sheet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creedmoor Sports, 167 grain Lapuas in Lapua brass. CMP sells it.

The first lot of this I shot - nickle primers - was really one hole ammo. This second lot - brass primers - shows a bit more spread.

Could be me, likely is, but I shot the first lot really well than.
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Still shoots great for factory ammo

Comment

I think that is supposed to be premium ammo.

I will be rolling over to 30-06 loading soon.

I came across a shit ton of 4350 Im hoping to find a load with.

Still have to get brass that will chamber fire, allow easy extraction/ejection.

These Lapua factory cases will bind after firing, requiring I get over the gun and palm out the brass.
        "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Well, if you happen to have some 190 smokes, my load (conservative load) is 52.8 grains of h4350, win brass, Tula primer and 190 smk

Comment

Ill probably load up what I have left of 168 SMK but Im trying to standardize all my .308 to the 175 SMK eventually.

Comment

deltawiskey 's new USMC sniper was completed today, with plenty of inspiration from pmclaine. Initial range results look like we have another winner! And between rounds at the range, DW has some serious eye candy to show off... We think it came out pretty sweet!

Lots more pics here --> https://pre64win.com/collections/rif...ribute-rifle-2

Comment

I must bring out the best in DW because he/Pre64 got the details down right.

Digging the dovetail FSB.

Picking up a case of Sig Sauer match 175 SMK in a couple weeks when I attend a class up their way.

Interested to see how the 175s will fly.

Comment

This was a bit of a community project, I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to post up information on here and reply to my PM's!!
                  I certainly bothered pmclaine the most with questions since he was about 6 months ahead of me with his rifle build
                  I will be sure to post up how it shoots very soon!
                  DW

Comment

DW

Let me know which way you go on a sling.

I am running a 50s era cotton type M1 Garand sling but truth be told I think it may be a little short, really have to run the fly end up by the foreward sling loop if you actually want to use it as a carry sling.

Just curious.

Never really researched what the USMC used. Probably a mix of M1907, Garand or M14. I think the 70s were replaced though before the nylon seatbelt slings (long) came into being and the anecdotes from VN vets I see say the nylon sling was rarely encountered.

Comment

• deltawiskey
                      deltawiskey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have a Ron Brown 1907 sling and also a cotton Garand sling to try out...
                      DW

• pmclaine
                      pmclaine commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ron Browns are great slings, will look classy on that rifle. Not a bad choice at all for looks and function.

I think in Vietnam though leather had a lifespan measured in hours.

Working...
                  X