Possible US marked M70 purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible US marked M70 purchase

Calling about this tomorrow. Falls between documented serial numbers on the Van Orden list but no hits. Unsure about the Lyman. Story is (understanding you buy rifles, not stories) the individual consigning this is a former USMC shooter and competed with this rifle. Thoughts?

Rifle is, I believe, very fairly priced if it's legit.

Comment

The story is plausible and it looks like it is in very good shape, did they gauge the barrel by chance? I have been told its common for them to be shot out...
      Keep us posted on what you decide please!
      DW

Comment

If you are on any other sites and PM USMCSGT0331 he might be able to give you some insight.

Everything looks legit but without paper it's a story.
        "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

I seen this rifle posted up recently on some forums. I thought it was possibly a special services rifle, ie a rifle that one could check out from poat services and shoot, just my thoughts. Reasonably priced I believe.

Comment

Talked with the shop owner today. I'll be in contact with the rifle owner tomorrow. Everything is looking pretty good so far.
            MJH- I posted to that thread Re what I thought it was.

Comment

It is mine. More info to follow.

Comment

• deltawiskey
                deltawiskey commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome! Glad you got it...look forward to hearing the story!!
                DW

I might be worth it to write to CMP and send them $25 and they will look thru their records to see if they sold it.
              jack1911

Comment

As an update, I didn't dig far enough in my VO list. Rifle was shipped to the US Army Rifle Team. Myself and two others are doing some digging to try and see where it went after that.

Comment

I own 338298, a CMP release from 2015, no pantograph US markings, looks like yours otherwise. Shipped from Evaluators to US Army Philadephia. Your s/n may be in one of the Death from Afar volumes.

Comment

That's where I got the serial # hit from. Was shipped 19-Jun-55 to USART.

Comment

Working...
                    X