Usmc m70?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usmc m70?

Picked this up in a dusty little gun shop in NC. Interesting modification done to sight hood. Very nicely done, and a long time ago, but no idea of purpose. No provenance other than the RIA stamp in the stock.

PS- Sorry about the thread title. I thought I had caps-lock on. I'll go haze myself now...

Comment

Fantastic looking rifle.

The RIA stamp would strike me as humped just because I dont understand why they would have been stamped.

Didnt Win stamp there own Garands?

I could forward the picture of the stamp to a "stamp expert" from the CMP if you want his opinion.
      "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Sure, forward it. It is RIA over FK, and there is a tiny 3 there as well.

Even if it's humped-up, I only paid what one would expect for a nice, clean pre-war 70.

Comment

Yes its a fantastic rifle.

Decided to just post in the general bolt action section.

I bothered R. Borecky just recently and he did me a solid with getting me some Garand wood for some custom knife scales.

Im sure he will see the post anyway.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=248644
          "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

• Skunk
            Skunk commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, there's a filler in the dovetail of the barrel where the rear sight should be. It also looks like it's been there quite some time.

The sight hood was opened, and a small "v" shaped notch was put in one end of the cut. The sight itself looks untouched.

• pmclaine
            pmclaine commented
            Editing a comment
            Kind of looks more aesthetic than functional opening the hood to my mind.

I mean the hood is to protect from glare why expose it to light?

Hoods are cheap though and the man owned his rifle, good for him.

Any chance it looks like it would take a Lyman or Winchester front sight insert, perhaps modified, into the cut.

Perhaps being a product of the Depression mounting a block and globe sight was thought extravagant at the time.

Doesnt make sense though in light of the fact that rifle in particular was a luxury item of sorts when sold.

• Skunk
            Skunk commented
            Editing a comment
            I guess the only reason to cut it would be for looks, like you say. I agree that letting light in kinda defeats the purpose. Someone spent some time and did the work very carefully.

Comment

That rifle was a great find!! Looks to be in really nice condition!
            DW

Comment

Yes, nice score! Lots of USMC Win 70's in that range, 48XXX.
              DFA Vol 1 at p. 49, lists for examples USMC serials 48270, 48274, 48286...
              jack1911

Comment

https://forum.snipershide.com/thread...rines.6912500/

Comment

You should contact cplnorton and see what he says about that serial #.. Nice find!

Comment

In August 1942, the Chief of Ordnance US Army, Springfield Ordnance District, ordered over 2,800 Model 70's. There were also some random Model 70 orders of smaller amounts, going to some Army locations in 1942. My hunch is you found a rifle from one of these shipments.

That is a very neat rifle!

Comment

• Skunk
                      Skunk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      So, is there any reason for a USMC rifle to have a RIA stamp on the side?

I think most people think that once a weapon is property of one branch, it stays with that branch throughout it's service life. But this is not the case. When one branch has a excess, and the other branch has a need. They request equipment off each other all the time and are constantly shipping stuff back and forth. Weapons are included in this. Can you say it was ever a Marine weapon? No you can't. But at the same time you cannot say for certain right now, it wasn't one at one time.

I have seen about a dozen of these with the RIA cartouches now. The only way to really prove where it was used, you would have to find the serial number listed on a document.

Comment

I guess what I'm saying, or asking, is this:

When the govt buys weapons, in this example the "373" Winchester 70's ordered by or sent to the Marine Corps in '42, are they sent directly from the manufacturer to some Marine Corps armory or do/did they first go to a larger govt depot/arsenal like Rock Island for inspection/acceptance first?

Comment

Originally posted by Skunk View Post
                        I guess what I'm saying, or asking, is this:

When the govt buys weapons, in this example the "373" Winchester 70's ordered by or sent to the Marine Corps in '42, are they sent directly from the manufacturer to some Marine Corps armory or do/did they first go to a larger govt depot/arsenal like Rock Island for inspection/acceptance first?
                        I have documents from that 1942 order. I didn't pull them to double check, but I'm pretty sure it says they were shipped to the Philadelphia Depot. Usually anything the Marines bought at this time directly from a commercial manufacture was shipped to Philly.

The Marines did buy stuff off the Army all the time. This is how for instance they received Garands. So if the Marines received a Wincehster Garand, it would have first shipped to the Army, then the Marines would have purchased it off the Army.

Anything bought by the Marines directly didn't go to the Army first if hat makes sense.

Comment

Hey man I found this today looking for something else. I have thousands of pages of sniper docs from NAM that I haven't read yet. But will be going thru soon.

This is in a March 1968 report by the US Army detailing what rifle they would like to use as a sniper. They chose the M14NM. Which lead to the XM21. But I thought you would like to see this.

Comment

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
                          X