Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new rifle.....

1993 time period SAI, M1A.

From what I can see most parts are GI. Barrel is TRW, bolt appears to be H&R.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1109111.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	45987

Name:	P1109112.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	45988

Name:	P1109113.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	45989

Name:	P1109114.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	45990

Name:	P1109108.JPG
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	45991

Name:	P1109109.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	45992

Name:	P1109110.JPG
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	45993
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Congratulation! Nice early SA rifle in the 077xxx to 075xxx range. I'd say don't mess with it, at all, but Man-O-Man, you are definitely in the deep end of the pool now... stocks and sights and reamed flash hiders and selector kits and - you name it.

Good luck!!

Comment

SN is 712XX.

Dont plan on doing anything to it other than I installed an OD Nylon "seatbelt" sling tonight.

Might put in a dummy FA sear bar just to fill the gaps on the right side of the stock. Think Sparrowhawk kits look pretty easy to install.

Range report tomorrow.

Plan on getting it sighted for 100 yards with some FGMM 168.

Hoping the shop I bought it from can come up with some GI mags.

Never know what you will find at the Honey Hole....

Name:	P1069093.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	45997

Name:	P1069098.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	45998
      "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

My error on SN's. A very early 1993 and a nice pick-up. Pays to just drop-by, sometimes, for no reason. I had a very early 'Loaded' model, 098xxx with SS/Medium NM barrel with NM sights cross my path a few years ago and it followed me home.

Should you come across some T57 mags, don't think about it, just get'em.

One thing to check: the early SA M1A's had an extended 'lip' on the bottom left side of their receivers. Essentially, a steel square on the bottom won't level across the bottom of the receiver, the bottom left side being slightly taller. The factory SA stock was milled for this lip and it was an ill-fit for any Gov't stock (without modification.) Nobody knows exactly why. If your receiver is square, then the previous owner filed it down (not an uncommon mod.) The alternative would be to file down the upper left side of the stock to permit the receiver to fit properly. Eventually, they produced receivers that were squared and no longer a problem.

The nice thing about the M1A/M14 is there is plenty of information to be found for them.

Good luck!

Comment

I had the rifle apart for clean/lube yesterday......didn't notice any anomalies on the receiver as cleaned dried grease from various places.

Ill check that receiver issue out.

It sits square in the GI stock now so previous owner must have done the mod - didn't notice any bright unfinished areas indicating filing, but I wasn't looking for that.

Do T57 Mags differ from standard M14 mags? Hoping the honey hole has some NIW GI mags..

Comment

Outstanding find pmclaine!
            I'm sure glad that gun shop isn't anywhere near where I live : )
            Looking forward to your range report!
            DW

Comment

Ordered up a SparrowHawk dummy FA sear link.

Filling in the spaces in the wood it was designed for will look better.

Bought the lock button version to limit how far stuff projects from the side of the rifle.

Funny thing with M1As when you buy one is how many parts people will tell you "you have to buy......" - unitized GC, NM spring guide, NM sights.......

Ill be shooting today and Im likely to find all this one needs is a better operator.

Comment

That's a NICE rifle, congrats. I am sure that it will serve you well and now you have the M1A bug lol.

I recently sold my 1989 M1A that I still had all the paperwork and original green box; it was all USGI parts. I hated to see it go but I decided to let it go and keep the 1990 Glen Nelson built rifle that I bought last year.

With the vintage scope

Range trip with FGMM ammo and the Kahles scope

Decent group

Comment

Just left the range.

Another kid with an M1A shows up and says hello and comes over to check out my rifle.

First words out of his cock holster......"You have to buy........."

Im finding out that when you own an M1A its a license for everyone to tel you what you need to buy to "improve your rifle".

Its appreciated but not the hole I intend to dig.

I was shooting SR1 reduced targets and this rifle will hold black.

Ashamedly Ill admit I don't even know what the adjustments are. I assumed 1/2 MOA for both dials but thinking windage is 1 MOA.

Got a respectable 100 yards zero that should hold the ten ring

Im getting some vertical and I blame me. I only randomly shoot irons and they are less forgiving than glass. Sight picture with irons needs to be trained so that when your brain sees the "go alignment" the finger has broken the shot.

Great rifle. So familiar to the Garand but different. Kept expecting to hear the ping. Lighter weight feels "snappier". Feels svelte compared to its fat father.

Pics to follow of course.

Comment

I tried to tell you... You can get into trouble, soon enough, all by yourself.

Rear sight should be in yards, but some are in meters. Make sure when it 'bottoms-out' it reads a solid '0' - if not loosen - adjust - then re-tighten.

A beefier original/vintage Springfield Armory (gov't) 'Big Red' stock will improve your rifle and your handling, without breaking the bank, but you probably don't want anything like that. A ready to install National match front assembly with a thinner sight post, which allows for a finer sight picture, but you probably don't want anything like that. A reamed-out flash hider will ensure no projectile contact, which these rifles are known for, but you probably don't want anything like that either...

Stock, sights and flash hider that are authentic GI and SA parts... and will not visually modify your rifle (well, the stock will probably have much nicer wood,) but you don't want anything like that.

You now own the the equivalent of 'kryptonite' to all plans and good intentions...

Good luck!

Comment

Name:	P1119117.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	46042

Name:	P1119118.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	46043
                      First shot using as bought site setting was low, an adjustment got me black....

Name:	P1119115.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	46044

I started mixing up which shot was which and thought I had a good setting. Moved to a clean target and fired 9, high right....

Name:	P1119116.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	46045
                      Next ten were low left, than another adjustment got me pretty well centered. 1 of 29 out of the black. Ill take this for an 'as issued" rifle.

Name:	P1119119.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	46046

Comment

Hello nice M14 and looks like you fun at the range shooting ,geoff3

Comment

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
                        X