Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info on Navy M14 SSR

Guys,

Does anybody know something about the Navy M14 SSR (Sniper Security Rifle)?

I have an unused McMillan M3A stock, I dont know what to do with it. Did a search and read that the M14 SSR uses the M3A stock. Looks like a nice project. Not the same finish though.

I do hope I am not off-topic asking about a Navy gun.

Thanks

Man I would love to have your spare parts problems.

The way I see it, this forum is about A) Military fielded sniper rifles. And B) Other topics we have a common interest in.

Comment

No info on it but it can't be that special. It's a M14 in a fiberglass stock. What I mean is there is only so much that you can do with an M14. You have most of the spec on the poster that you show at the bottom if your post. Have the stock painted with a hard coat.

I'll dig around but I don't know anything about it. Most Navy/MC rifles tend to follow each other. The Army and Air Force rifles tend to do the same with each other.

Comment

I cant read the specs at the bottom...

I understand that the forum is about A) Military fielded sniper rifle (which is the case here)

Maybe I didnt get this right.. I'll just remove the post if its too much off topic.

Comment

• Game Warden
          Game Warden commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, I thought you had the poster. Don't be silly. M14s are normally considered a form of DMR or Sniper rifle. This is totally in topic, it just isn't a Marine rifle but who cares? Marines fall under the Department of the Navy.
          Last edited by Game Warden; 10-06-2015, 06:44 PM.

Originally posted by MescaBug View Post
        I cant read the specs at the bottom...

I understand that the forum is about A) Military fielded sniper rifle (which is the case here)

Maybe I didnt get this right.. I'll just remove the post if its too much off topic.
        I don't think this is off topic. Granted this is primarily an M40/Marine board, but I would hate to see a topic that others may be interested in removed. This aint the Hide and you posted it in the DMR board.

I was happy they chose to rename my Optics thread. I don't think it would have lasted as long as it did if it stayed just M40 related, and there is a hell of a lot of good info there.

Comment

MB go to this link.

http://dtic.mil/ndia/2012armaments/W...9Armstrong.pdf

Comment

• Game Warden
            Game Warden commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool link. I have that PowerPoint somewhere but you just saved me from digging it up, thanks.

• MescaBug
            MescaBug commented
            Editing a comment
            Saw it while doing a search. Good info, thanks for sharing!

Last edited by BoltTrash; 11-06-2016, 12:20 AM.

Comment

BT: I saw that thread on the M14 forum. Thanks!

Apparently, the SST was not rear lugged. Just a regular M14.

I cant find any information on the scope base. From the pictures, looks like the rear sight is removed.

Comment

Dig through here. I'm currently on my way to work so I don't have time.

http://www.dispositionservices.dla.m...4stocknsns.pdf

Comment

Looks like the SSR was a Crane project. The rail they used was similar to the White Feather. Doesnt sounds too good:

That is indeed the Whitefeather rail, but it looks like it might be on a Whitefeather action moved to a different stock (the unique muzzle brake is a tip-off, but the stainless steel barrel is a puzzle). There was a time when the Springfield Custom Shop would install one for you but they don't do that any more, and the Whitefeather is no longer listed on the Springfield website.

As to being sturdy, I have one on an SAI Scout and it's been anything but. As you can see in the pictures, the rear end replaces the rear sight and is held in place by screws passing through the sight ears. The holes in the sight ears are bigger than the screws so the screws need to be screwed down real tight or the back of the rail can slide up and down between the ears. SAI neglected to use Loctite, so the screws eventually loosened just enough to allow some vertical movement on recoil though not enough to feel movement by hand. It's possible the block of steel the rear of the mount is on and the screws screw into is supposed to sit tightly on the rear sight pad, but on mine it doesn't quite make it, allowing room for movement.

The front support is a ring that fits around the barrel (you can see it clearly in picture #4) which then gets clamped between the barrel shoulder and the receiver face when the barrel is tightened. That requires a very precise modification of the back of the barrel so that the clamping is tight when the barrel is properly indexed. While the rail in the picture appears to be level with the bore, mine has a noticeable forward tilt (causing a POI of over 40" @ 100 yds with the scope reticle centered), perhaps caused by the rail's rear support not sitting down on the rear sight pad. As a result, the entire assembly is under tension as the screws attaching the front of the rail to the front support (visible in picture 4) try to pull the rail down flat on the support. So I never could tell if the front support was really clamped as tightly as it should have been. There's a bit of clearance between the bottom of that support and the top of the receiver (visible in picture 2), and when I managed to drive some spring steel shims (from a stripper clip) tightly into that space, the groups seemed to tighten up a bit, suggesting the clamping isn't all it could be. Since another TFL member recently told us of his two M1A's, one a Super Match, both arriving with the barrels held in place mostly with Loctite, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

So while the concept of the Whitefeather rail is surely tempting (which is why I jumped at the chance of owning one), its execution requires a level of expertise, care and quality control which isn't, apparently, always present.

Comment

That M3A stock might be for sale.... Send me a PM if interested.

Comment

• Game Warden
                    Game Warden commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Did that parts list help at all?

• MescaBug
                    MescaBug commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not much info on the SSR, but overall great document! Good reference to M14 parts. Thanks for sharing.
                Working...
                X