XM25 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XM25 Build

It's still a work in progress but here are some teaser shots of my XM25 project...

Nice. Did you find the Brookfield liner? Since Ren has a loose one, he really should send it to a machinist for duplication.

Comment

• Majikani
      Majikani commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it does have the liner! 😎

I had plans for my B&L 10X. Found out I'm not into semis. Will do a M91A2 instead.

Looks great! How well does it shoot?

Comment

• Game Warden
      Game Warden commented
      Editing a comment
      Semi-autos are a different beast, especially M1 Garands and M14 (M1As too.) If you don't have a correct grip and cheekweld, you'll find out real quick. Also it takes a experienced gunsmith to work on the M1 & M14. Other than using a chassis system, they are not plug and play.

• Majikani
      Majikani commented
      Editing a comment
      We have it shooting extremely well. Still playing around with it but generally sub moa. I'm at sea right now but next time home I'll post some range reports.

• Majikani
      Majikani commented
      Editing a comment
      The M91A2 is solid. I need something in .300 WM myself! You're putting the B&L on it? What about a nice ULTRA?
      😀

Originally posted by Majikani View Post
    The M91A2 is solid. I need something in .300 WM myself! You're putting the B&L on it? What about a nice ULTRA?
    Yup, putting the B&L on it. Like this one:

Comment

• Majikani
      Majikani commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya, that's badass!

Originally posted by MescaBug View Post

Yup, putting the B&L on it. Like this one:

What model rifle is that in the picture ?

Comment

• 29aholic
      29aholic commented
      Editing a comment
      I would say it is an M91A2

• MescaBug
      MescaBug commented
      Editing a comment
      29aholic is right. M91A2.

Some more cool pics.

Comment

Originally posted by MescaBug View Post
      I had plans for my B&L 10X. Found out I'm not into semis. Will do a M91A2 instead.

Looks great! How well does it shoot?
      I'm not crazy about those B&L scopes. I have 2 of them (well, one now with the XM25 kit I just sold), and I get field of vision distortion on the periphery, with both of them. Maybe it's because I wear contact lenses. Doesn't happen with other scopes I have. Anyone else notice this?
      Once those XM25s are loaded up, they are heavy beasts.. I love mine, built it off an LRB receiver, I do all my own M14 'smithing, can't tell you how many times I've swapped parts to get good combos.
      Not happy with this JRA receiver I bought, the "heel" receivers, if anyone got one. They basically did a run where they welded the rear end of original manufacturers onto one of their new forgings, so I have a TRW marked one. Rifle won't pass the tilt test, thats why I tore it down and sold the parts.
      Gonna twist on an LRB medium weight SAK NM clone barrel I have and build up a later XM21 clone. I'll screw/glue my GC this weekend, and have a NM/2A marked rear sight coming, use an Sadlak spring guide, we'll see.

Comment

• MescaBug
        MescaBug commented
        Editing a comment
        No problem with my B&L. As clear as my Luppys and NF. Its been on a custom 30-06 for 2 years, keeps zero, tracks good. No distortion.

That's weird. Especially if both have the same problem.

Originally posted by Majikani View Post
      It's still a work in progress but here are some teaser shots of my XM25 project...
      The BPT scope mount is it weaver rail or picatinny version ?

Comment

I just realized that I never posted pictures of the finished rifle... So here they are:

Comment

Now I like that!!!

Comment

Originally posted by majikani View Post
            i just realized that i never posted pictures of the finished rifle... So here they are:

outstanding!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the comments!

Comment

"I just realized that I never posted pictures of the finished rifle... So here they are'

Wow, that looks great and nicely "correct" IMO. I would like to build a clone just like it, but I'm concerned that I could spend years trying in vain to find all the right parts, and end up with a pricey and incomplete project. Here's the tough parts that I think are required for an XM25:

1. Three-color(?) McMillian stock with the Brookfield liner (Probably a unicorn, so would have to perhaps order a new McMillian stock with the 'Ft. Devron cut' and perhaps Tank's Rifle Shop's stock liner? for about $1100 I'm guessing, $600 for stock and $500 for the liner installed? Not sure if you can get this with the selector switch cut-out, but that would be needed)
                2. B&L 10x Tactical scope (eBay perhaps? luck required.)
                3. Brookfield scope mount (eBay perhaps? luck required)
                4. Medium weight Barnett barrel (probably impossible to find newish, so would have to substitute a medium weight Kreiger or Criterion? in carbon steel)
                5. Rings (Are they Leupold tactical rings?)
                6. M1A donor rifle with USGI bayonet lug, etc.
                7. Fake m14 selector switch (I have some of those parts)

What else am I missing re unique parts? Is such a project even viable if starting from nothing but a donor M1A?...

I have 3 Springfield M1As, two 1989 vintage NM w/ walnut stocks/carbon standard weight barrels, and one M21 with heavy Kreiger barrel that is a tack driver, but maybe it would be easier (and more cost effective) to just search for an ART I scope to make a Vietnam era XM21 type rifle for my iron sighted M1A...than attempt an accurate XM25 build.

I do like Majikani's project though...
                Last edited by Random Guy; 01-10-2017, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks! I'll get to posting my XM21 project sooner or later... ;-)
                  meanwhile some other pics...

Comment

Majikani - can you provide a list of parts used on your project?

Comment

Working...
                    X