Restored 'XM21' M14 in NRA museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restored 'XM21' M14 in NRA museum

A buddy/local collector loaned his restored XM21 to the NRA museum a couple of years ago, and I took some pics of it back in 2014 just before he loaned it to the museum. It was a de-milled Winchester M14 receiver with the "XM21" stamp on the heel, and it was expertly welded back together and carefully restored. It was/is shown in the "Vietnam War" section of the museum, although technically the ART II scope is a post-Vietnam War optic. Other than old B&W pics in books, its the only "XM21" marked receiver I have ever seen. The owner is quite proud of it. (I forgot the name of the old-timer who restored it for him, but apparently he built the actual AMU XM21s back in the early 1970s, and used the same bedding material, and heavy birch stock they used in the later part of the Vietnam War for the XM21s. The old-timer said that they switched to using the birch stocks for the XM21s, as they apparently did not swell up as much as the walnut stocks in the high humidity of SE Asia, but I don't know if this stock is one of those rare epoxy impregnated stocks or not.) I didn't have the opportunity to look closely at that M40 in the NRA museum, but I think it might belong to the same collector...I need to ask him next time I see him.
    Last edited by Random Guy; 04-13-2016, 09:17 AM.

"Hook" Boutin. He just died a few months ago.
    Looks like a "Big Red", so it may be an epoxy stock.
    His clip guide is wrong.

Comment

In Differents book "Research and Development of the M14 Rifle" he states that some Hahn welded receivers have been observed with "XM21" marked on the heel of the receiver on the flat right behind the rear sight. Wonder if your friends receiver was a Hahn.
      I know of an SA Hahn receiver marked XM21 just like the Winny you show, the owner finally had it built into a rifle by Mr. Hook just before he passed. May actually be the very last rifle Hook worked on before he died. (May he rest in peace).
      Last edited by m1sniper; 04-14-2016, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by m1sniper View Post
        In Differents book "Research and Development of the M14 Rifle" he states that some Hahn welded receivers have been observed with "XM21" marked on the heel of the receiver on the flat right behind the rear sight. Wonder if your friends receiver was a Hahn.
        I know of an SA Hahn receiver marked XM21 just like the Winny you show, the owner finally had it built into a rifle by Mr. Hook just before he passed. May actually be the very last rifle Hook worked on before he died. (May he rest in peace).
        Hahn was known to do a excellent job with welding these back together.
        I have one of the James River Armory "heel" receivers. TRW. Closest you'll get "cosmetically" to the real thing.
        First one I got was canted in the rear.
        2nd one is much better, op rod cutout is a bit wide, shoots well, I would give it an 85/100.
        I wonder if they still are doing them.

Comment

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
        X