M25 project underway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M25 project underway

I was inspired by Majikani's awesome XM25 replica/clone, but given I have no access to a BPT stock liner, I decided to start collecting parts for something a little easier to build, an M25 replica. So here's my March 2017 update for anyone interested in this platform: Over the past two months I have been able to acquire a nice B&L 10x tactical scope (thanks Geoff!), a BPT scope mount, a decent 3-color forest camo McMillan stock, 2 correct unitized gas cylinders (one by BPT), and most recently a military take-off M14 match barrel, etc.

1st picture shows the parts thus far for an early 1990s Navy-built Port Security (aka M25) replica sniper rifle (Note: the lower unitized gas cylinder was one modified by Mitch of BPT, but the Navy match barrel also came with a welded/unitized gas cylinder as well). So I still have some major parts still needed (receiver, bolt, trigger group, NM rear sight and NM flash hider w/ front sight) - but I'm getting a little closer...

The neatest part I have gotten so far is a Navy heavy profile match M14 take-off barrel, dated 4-93, which corresponds to the era when Crane reportedly built some M25s, presumably for Navy SEAL snipers. (Barrel's ME = 1.25 and TE = 2.0, so I lucked out, as the barrel is still quite serviceable). Markings are "1 10 7 62 MM 4 93 4 SPL USN") Its a blued barrel characteristic of the Gene Barnett barrels of that era, so I am going to have it parkerized, as I think that would be more correct for a fielded M25 weapon built by Crane.

So, I still have a long ways to go such as a donor rifle, but I've had good progress so far this year re M25/Navy Port Security Rifle parts, so thanks for those who have lent a hand in the project (knowledge and parts). I'm mailing the stock off to McMillian this weekend to have the M14 "selector cut" added to the stock, so I can install my faux selector switch parts (for aesthetics only, of course). Hopefully I've have another update on this project spring/summer.

BTW, I'm still looking for a BPT gas piston in case anybody has a spare they'd be willing to sell....
    Last edited by Random Guy; 08-22-2017, 07:27 PM.

Nice job, got some good parts there! Looking forward to seeing it built!

Comment

Very nice start. I do have a question regarding the barrel. I was under the impression that heavy barrels were only used on shooting team rifles. Sniper barrels were the medium heavy... Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm here to learn.

Comment

My understanding is that the XM25 rifles made in the late 1980's to early 1990's used medium Barnett barrels however in the 1990's the M25's also used heavy barrels. Furthermore some rifles were made at Crane based on the M25 and they might well have used a heavy... just my 2 cents and worth less...

Comment

Majikani knows more about these rifles than I do. That said, here's my understanding re XM25 vs M25 barrels. The XM25 designation was created in 1988, and specified a medium weight barrel and the BPT stock liner. Three years later, it earned the M25 designation (circa 1991), and the two primary changes b/t the XM25 vs M25 specification was omitting the BPT stock liner (due to time and effort to install them), and a switch to a heavy profile barrel, most often referring to a Krieger match barrel. (The Navy used the nomenclature "Port Security Rifle" instead of M25, and they were Navy rifle team match rifles with heavy profile barrels. At least that is what I have read, for example:

M14 Rifle History and Development by Lee Emerson

"...the XM25 design specification required the rifle to have a synthetic material stock, a medium weight match grade barrel, Harris bipod and the following Brookfield Precision Tool parts: steel stock liner, operating rod spring guide, scope mount, and titanium nitride coated gas piston.

...The XM25 rifle had a steel liner placed inside the stock to allow removal of the stock without loss of scope zero. The steel stock liner was designed by Master Sergeant Tom Kapp. The design was successful because it allowed the sniper to remove the barrel and receiver from the stock, clean the weapon and reassemble the rifle without a loss of scope zero. However, the stock liner was time consuming to produce. Consequently, the stock liner was not kept as part of the specification for the M25 rifle. The M25 rifle as used by the U. S. Army typically sports either a McMillan M1A or M2A bedded stock without the steel liner and a heavyweight match grade Krieger barrel. The M25 rifle does not have a rear receiver lug. The select fire components are not welded on the M25 rifle. The selector lock is installed but can be replaced with a selector switch if desired."
          ....I would certainly like to find a medium weight Barnett barrel in good shape with military stampings (ie, "7.62 mm" etc) along with a late 1980s/early 1990s date stamp, but that would be searching for a proverbial unicorn. My barrel is off a Navy shooting team rifle, but I like it b/c some sources suggest that Sfc Tom Kapp and (perhaps) Mitch Mateiko (BPT owner) went to Crane in the early 1990s and taught the Navy armorers there how to make the M25 rifle (presumably for Special Operations/SEAL teams). If that info is true, then my barrel is likely correct for my replica M14 Port Security Rifle project.

(FWIW, one local guy who hangs out at Quantico knows someone who reportedly built some Port Security Rifles (aka M25s) at Crane during the 1990s, but I have not had the opportunity to talk to this retired person...I'm hoping to get his contact info so I can ask him a question or two, and this topic regarding barrels is something I wanted to ask this guy, assuming I can get in touch with him).
          Last edited by Random Guy; 08-22-2017, 07:29 PM.

Comment

"I do have a question regarding the barrel. I was under the impression that heavy barrels were only used on shooting team rifles. Sniper barrels were the medium heavy... Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm here to learn."

Check out page 15 of this ppt (you can clearly see the heavy profile as specified in the Navy M14 SSR rifle. Reportedly they use a Kreiger barrel):
            ttp://dtic.mil/ndia/2012/armaments/Wednesday13969Armstrong.pdf

...just an fyi.
            Attached Files

Comment

10-4, thanks RG for the info.

Comment

You're welcome. Picture is often worth a thousand words...

FWIW, my heavy Barnett barrel is still off getting parkerized, but I did get the stock back from McMillan this week. Once I get the barrel back, I'll be almost ready to build it....but maybe not just yet..

The good news is the M14 selector switch cut looks good, and the bipod stud I had them install also looks good...but the as seen in the 2nd picture, the "selector switch" cut apparently did not include the cut for the selector rod that rides under the op rod and thus needs a relief cut, esp at the front. I have the selector switch parts for this project to make it look aesthetically correct, but I need to figure out if I need to send it back to McMillan for 2 months to have them add that cut too - or do I want to take a chance and have my gunsmith carefully use a Dremel tool?...hmmm.

(I'm having him skim-bed the action to the stock, and I'll be using the rear lug torque screw set-up as well. Apparently the early Navy M14 Port Security Rifles used lugged, match receivers, before they dropped the lugged, match receivers when they went with regular M14 receivers with the introduction of the M14 SSR platform circa 1996)
                Last edited by Random Guy; 08-22-2017, 07:30 PM.

Comment

10-4 on all. Gonna be a nice rifle when complete!!!

Comment

My 2 cents, have your gunsmith fit it (dremel) when he beds the action...

Comment

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
                    X