Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advertisement

Collapse

Project Update: Navy M14 Physical Security Sniper rifle/Port Security replica rifle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Update: Navy M14 Physical Security Sniper rifle/Port Security replica rifle

It has taken a little over a year, but I have finally collected the parts I need to begin the build of my replica/tribute Navy M14 Physical Security Sniper rifle/Navy Port Security rifle. For those who might not be aware of the history, these were basically the Navy's "Grade A" M14 match rifles that were converted into SEAL sniper rifles circa 1989-1990 via the addition of a 10x scope, BPT scope mount, Leupold Ultra tactical rings, and bedded in a black McMillan M1A stock. (Note: The very early double-lugged rifles reportedly used a forest camo stock, but the majority of rifles built at Crane used a black stock). Funding was approved for 250 to be built back in 1989, and the Navy had approx 70 Grade A match rifles already in inventory that were suitable for conversion into the Physical Security Sniper Rifle configuration. (Note: The earliest rifles were double-lugged, but due to cracking/welding issues regarding the front lugs, the Navy armors at Crane, IN built the majority of these with just rear lugs.)

Anyhow, here's the inspiration for the project, a 1991 photo of what I suspect is a Navy/Crane-built M14 Physical Security Sniper rifle taken just after Operation Desert Storm. (Note: This picture is from Peter Senich's book, The Long Range War, (1994), and while he refers to this rifle as an "M25" that is not technically correct as the Navy never utilized the M25 nomenclature). According to his book, this was the US Navy SEAL’s "weapon of choice” during that conflict.

Here's the photo associated with this Navy NSN 1005-01-106-8975 (note the aluminum case and items in the case):

Here's the most recent picture circa 2007 of Navy personnel with what appears to be a Navy M14 Port Security rifle still in its original configuration:

Regarding my replica rifle project, it actually started with the correct B&L 10x scope (thanks Geoff) and a BPT scope mount that I acquired in January 2017...and that began the journey. So, 13 months later and lots of $ this is what I have accumulated in an effort to replicate what is seen in the above pics, including a vintage Navy transport case:

Rear lugged SAI Super Match receiver (1992 vintage). Rear lug has the torque screw set-up, as also found on vintage Navy match rifles:

1993 dated US Navy marked heavy Barnett/Douglas barrel (headspace is good: 1.631"):

Misc. parts (BTW, I'm looking for another MRT marked sling with a 1990s date, just in case someone has a spare sling they could sell...):

Optics and a few misc items found in the original kit. (In addition to the Navy Weapon Record book that I have, I'd really like to find an original Operator's Manual):

Thanks to another collector, I was able to acquire the old Navy aluminum transport case as seen in vintage pics (DRMO'ed item), and I have ordered replacement foam for that case. So the two items I am now trying to find are the Operators Manual# SW370-BK-MMI-020; the Technical Manual # TM 9-1005-223-90, and whatever that blue spiral notebook is in the color NSN photo (I think its instruction on Mil-Dot reticles, but not sure). I may add a front bipod stud to the stock, but have not yet made that decision (long story re my pursuit of a black M1A stock, as the other one I ordered from McMillan in August 2017 should arrive this spring).

Most recently I re-parked the receiver, bolt, op rod and other parts two weeks ago so everything now has a matching finish, and thus this project is finally coming together. Hopefully my gunsmith (a retired 2112) can bed it in MarineTex sometime this spring or summer, and I'll update this post at that time. Anyhow, just an fyi post for any one interested in this replica of a somewhat unusual M14 sniper rifle variant.
    Last edited by Random Guy; 03-05-2018, 09:14 PM.

This is outstanding! Cant wait to see it finished up! Should probably paint that dewey bore guide black to match the rest of it lol.

Comment

Thanks. I actually bought a black 1907 leather sling and considered it initially, but I' m going to use the dated tan one instead, but you are right, this will be a mostly black M1A.

Comment

Awesome . PFC!!!

Comment

That's going to be a kick ass M14 really like the scope ,geoff3

Comment

Geoff, you may recall that you sold me the pictured B&L scope in Jan 2017 and that was started that kind-of is project..along with the barrel find a couple of months later to solidify the project.. Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Random Guy View Post
              Geoff, you may recall that you sold me the pictured B&L scope in Jan 2017 and that was started that kind-of is project..along with the barrel find a couple of months later to solidify the project.. Many thanks.
              Hello I remember the selling the scope ,I have found out that the B&L 10x was on a few different rifles ,geoff3

Comment

The old B&L scope had an local or Crane specific NSN: 1005-LL-LT4-0952.

To my knowledge It was associiated with 3 sniper rifles from the late 1980s/1990s.
                M14 Sniper kit (my project): NSN 1005-01-106-8975

MK 13: NSN 1005-LL-L99-5364 and NSN 1005-LL-L99-5477 listed as “Rifle 300 Mag Rem 700 LH” - which I guess means a left handed version of that SEAL sniper rifle...(the other NSN has a “RH” suffix).

In addition, I have seen 1 picture of the prototype Mk 12 SBR that had that B&L scope, but that was likely a test mule.
                Last edited by Random Guy; 03-06-2018, 08:21 PM.

Comment

The Bausch & Lomb is a trusty old scope. It's popped up on several NSW rifles...some more recent than you might expect.
                  Mk11 Mod 2 and Mk12 Mod 1

Mk11 Mod 0

Early Mk13/ 700/300

6.8 SPC Mk12 Prototype

Comment

I have a picture of the scope on the MK12 Mod 1I have to find it ,geoff3

Comment

Dont want to jack-thread. Just a bit of info you guys might find interesting.

Guy on the picture is Kyle Defoor. The rifle is what looks like an early M91A2. Built by Reddick Arms.

I did some search when I got my B&L scope, talked to Defoor. Told me most SEALs rifles had Luppys. The B&L 10X was being evaluated at that time, and its a real possibility that some were used in training.

Originally posted by GM1 View Post
                      The Bausch & Lomb is a trusty old scope. It's popped up on several NSW rifles...some more recent than you might expect.

Early Mk13/ 700/300

Comment

Working...
                      X