Question I cant answer....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question I cant answer....

Got a question from a gentleman that is former USMC and does great things for the shooting community.

He asked me a question about Desert Storm M25s.....

Do you know what swivels were most commonly used on the M25 builds
    during Desert Shield/Desert Storm timeline?

Anyone got an answer I can pass on to him?
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Answer is "it depends".. The original approx 50 XM-25s made by Mitch Mateiko (Brookfield Precision tool) used a McMillan stock, 1st black ones then the smear pattern were fitted with a Pachmayer rubber butt pad. I'm not sure what lower sling swivel assembly was used, I'd have to go back to a thread on the M14 forum. After the 1st 50, then McMillan stocks using a standard BP was used with a standard swivel. The the upper sling swivel assembly started with a standard swivel. The 2 holes were drilled out to 1/4 inch. 2 hex "cap head screws and a 1 1/2 inch long, 3/8ths inch wide, 1/4 inch thick backing plate inletted into the stock that was drilled and tapped for the 1/4 screws and also drilled and tapped for a Harris or Harris type bipod stud. The plate was inletted into the stock using a specific measurement from the front ferrule to the center of the hole for the Harris bipod which actually made it necessary to lengthen the swivel mounting "flat" on the stock towards the receiver . Not quite 1/8 inch on my stock.
    Before I knew there was a specific measurement, I had installed mine, when I found out, I had to lengthen the inletting and I set the block in marine tex epoxy to fill the void. Mitch did not bed or epoxy them.
    As for "unit built" versions of the M25, they may or may not have used the Brookfield upper swivel assembly. They may have just used a standard swivel if they had no plans to mount a bipod.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

I will pass that info on very helpful.

Hope you had those pictures already in your computer and didnt have to go to much trouble.

Thank you for responding!
      "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

No problem taking and posting the pics. I appreciate all the pics and info you guys post,so it's the least I could do. Here is the link to the M14 forum thread I mentioned.It's a lot of pages, be sure he reads it all as a lot of info is added in the later pages that came directly from Mitch Mateiko... I'm SURE your Marine Buddy will get a lot out of it:
        This is my example of the XM-25 rifle built by members of the 10th SFG at Ft. Devens. Springfield Armory M-1a with medium match barrel Sadlak op rod

Comment

Working...
        X