XM-21 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XM-21 project

I managed to snag an Original ART mount that jumped out of the woodwork. Now if I can find an Original Cam system add-on for my black Redfield 3-9X40 Accurange scope of the drawings for it, that would be outstanding.
    The original system consisted of a Cam that fits over the power adjustment ring and is held on with a little U shaped bracket and screw.
    If anyone knows where I can find one, or the drawings for one, please let me know.

Good luck as these are obviously pretty rare.

I am missing the cam parts as well and have posted up before so if you find a guy with a pile let me know. Someone made my ar-tel into a 3-9 ugh lol.

It is very intensive "surgery" to get a normal 3-9 to be an AR-tel scope.

GL!
    DT

Comment

It appears that the power adjustment ring on yours was turned down in order to remove the knurling.

All we can do is hope. If something shows up, I will let you know.

Comment

Ironsight? not sure if they have what you need?

http://ironsightinc.com/index.php?ro...on/leatherwood

Comment

• macethetemplar
          macethetemplar commented
          Editing a comment
          Iron Site bought the parts to the Leatherwood ART II, not the Redfield ArTel.

I sent them an email yesterday. Am awaiting their reply. Thank you!

Comment

Iron Sight is quite helpful if you call them on the phone during normal hours, but less esponsive by email in my recent experiences.
          jack1911

Comment

Thank you. I'll give so a shout.

Comment

Iron sight won't sell individual parts stating that they are reserved for customer repairs.

Comment

Would it be safe to assume that any vintage Redfield Scope with a 1" tube would have utilized the same power adjustment ring? I may end up having to purchase a cheap parts scope for the power ring. I don't want to disassemble my scope for any length of time when and if the time comes. To me it's better to have everything all set to go and then disassemble it. When and if the time comes, I may send everything out for the conversion.

Comment

Would it be safe to assume that any vintage Redfield Scope with a 1" tube would have utilized the same power adjustment ring?
                  I don't think so. The power magnification ring is oblong shaped (kind of egg-shaped). That allows the ring to adjust the cant on the mount as magnification is changed/increased.
                  The only source of drawings I have seen is in a Peter Senich's book, as he interviewed Jim Leatherwood in the late 1980s or early 1990s (before he passed away).
                  I have never seen an AR TEL cam for sale, but I know at least one person who has been looking for one for quite a while....(see pic #2 of cam)

BTW, the AR TEL has a unique reticle with 2 'stradia' lines that assist in range estimations. The horizontal lines subtend 60 inches, and the vertical stradia I think subtend 30 inches at a given range, if my memory is correct.

If its any consolation, I too found an AR TEL mount first, but didn't have an AR TEL scope. A member on this forum emailed me last year to let me know that an AR TEL scope only, had popped up on gun broker for $1500. I snagged it quickly, and now have a complete system. So I would keep your eye's on gunbroker and eBay for one, you might get lucky too...

Comment

• Hawk
                    Hawk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you! I have Senich's book. I don't think there is enough information to machine one.

If only someone would be willing to remove the cam from their scope and make a mould of the cam, I could have a machinist make me one. I have the scope and mount. Just need the cam system to create a clone. I have no intentions of ever attempting to pass it off as the real deal and will mark the scope that it a clone.
                  The mount I have is new out of the wrap, so was never used and is unmarked.

Comment

• macethetemplar
                    macethetemplar commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Really that is the hardest part is that measurements don't cut it, the arc increases around the edge in order to do the cam so you would have to have the real deal in front of you to copy. If you did though I would get at least 10-15 made. Not only could people who are missing theirs have it repaired and working again but there are quite a few mounts out there without scopes so people could convert their normal 3x9's. Without the stadia reticle though the ranging would have to be done beforehand.

I should note that a forum member who has not been active in a while, Tokiwartooth, attempted to make a AR TEL cam, but was unsuccessful. I can't recall the details as to why, but it was something he was not able to remove (or reinstall?). Its somewhere on this forum, but I remember he tried hard to do this, but couldn't.
                  I will note that he is perhaps one of the best experts on repairing these old scopes. Here's a thread of a restoration of an AR TEL - only time I have seen this performed:.

https://www.m40rifle.com/forum/optic...el-restoration

The patent number of the Leatherwood scope and its cam feature is on that page I posted (in Senich's book), and I suppose you could try to review that patent for the engineering details...just a thought.

Comment

• Hawk
                    Hawk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    All I can say about Toki's post is WOW!!! I had my green accurange scope refinished by him. He does great work! I had my black accurate worked on by Iron Sight. It took a few months, but, it was fine when I got it back. I guess I was lucky.

I'll see what I can find out about the patent.

You can look at them if you search Google Patents, there are several Leatherwood scope patents there, for example here's one of them:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US...therwood+scope
                  jack1911

Comment

Wow!!! Thank you!!!!

Comment

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
                    X