Replica IDF M14 sniper rifle project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replica IDF M14 sniper rifle project

Historical Overview: Israel reportedly built 10,000 M14 sniper rifles out of the 35k that the USA gave them in 1973. Originally they used the 'Nimrod' 6x42mm scope from I suspect the mid-1970s to the mid-1990s. The Kahles 6x42mm 'Futonic' scopes with large rubber sun shades were introduced in 1994 on the IDF M14 rifles. I think these rifles were kept in reserves into the mid-200Xs. I suspect most of them have now been sold off or otherwise disposed of, and I doubt the IDF still maintains M14s in its inventory.

I prefer US military items, but I made an exception for this replica as its kind-of unique looking. One other interesting historical analogy is that the US 'officially' replaced the M21 sniper rifle in favor of the M24 SWS in 1988, but the IDF kept using their M14s snipers until they too were replaced around 1997 with the same rifle, the Remington-made M24 SWS. Here's some pics for anyone interested:

First, given that my IDF scope had been painted/re-furbed at some point, I decided that a light re-spray of the vintage IDF stock would probably be okay, but normally I would leave a vintage stock as-is. My sling is pretty fresh looking too. So, other than wear on the buttpad a minor blemishes on the stock from military use, this replica looks like an IDF M14 sniper that just came out of an arsenal re-build. Left side (complete):

Unique IDF cheek piece is bolted into USGI stock via two long threaded bolts. Note the para cord securing rear sling to rifle.
    I didn't paint the cheekrest. It had been previously roughly sanded while in service, so I simply added two coats of the satin enamel finish to slightly restore it.

Scope elevation turrets marked "M14" with a BDC from 100 to 800 meters:

Right side:

Barrel is a medium weight SAI barrel. Front sight is a standard part, but I did use a NM flash hider. Gas cylinders were not unitized on the original IDF sniper rifles, but I plan on doing an AMU-type unitization for this project.

Blemishes on stock and cheek pad are still visible upon inspection:

You can see the original M14 serial number of the IDF rifle here, and also some writing on the vintage IDF sling (I don't know any Hebrew, so I can't read it):

Interesting use of double para-cord to secure the sling to the rifle (this is original):

Anyhow, this was an ad hoc project for 2019 due to the purchase of the IDF scope on eBay, and I built it on a budget compared to my other M1As, but I think it turned out okay.

This summer it just needs a trigger job, a unitized gas cylinder, and fitting a gas lock so it times up correctly, but otherwise its basically finished.
    I do not have a range report on it yet, but I'll take it out sometime this summer and see how it shoots. Just an fyi post regarding a random vintage sniper rifle....

Outstanding post!!!
    DW

Comment

Im seeing a few of these being posted.

Was there a parts kit release?
      "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

A Canadian outfit got 250 IDF parts kits in 2017 or 2018. No scopes or mounts.
        I don't think any have come to the US since the late 1990s when SAI brought in a bunch of them.
        However, the scopes and mounts seem to be around more so than the stocks.

Comment

• pmclaine
          pmclaine commented
          Editing a comment
          tHANK YOU.

They still have a few of the parts kits available, they are of course less receivers ( well you get half a receiver) it’s my understanding that the quality of the components is luck of the draw when you order one. Its neat to see the one off stocks the IDF used, and things like the bolt and other components are engraved with Hebrew characters. It will be good to see what sort or accuracy you get once a range trip is made.

Very nice rifle RG!

Comment

Now you just need to track down the OD Green wedge shaped IDF case for it......

Click image for larger version

Name:	4CC76F6D-3FC3-46B2-926B-6BAC7ACDBC2F.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	43340

Comment

Yes, I would like a find a transport case, but no idea where I could find one for sale...

Comment

Working...
            X