Advertisement

Collapse

X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USMC property 40x

Picked this dude up today, never been much of a rimfire guy, but it was a steal and these are fairly rare, I'll try to post some more photos later.

Congrats... USMC marked adds an extra cool point or two.

Comment

Congrats, shooting rimfire is just pure fun.

Hopefully helped talk someone out of modifying one on Snipershide.
      "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

I will keep this one stock, I would like to find a 16-20 power unertl or Lyman scope for it tho, I installed my 10x unertl on it last night for the time being.

Comment

• pmclaine
          pmclaine commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a 20X onaSpringfield M2.

With that much power at 50 yards the scope shake is huge.

That's a little slice of pure money!

I've been kicking around the idea of putting together a 40X on a spec M40A1 stock I have. Has anyone done a write up of that kinda build?
        Thanks

Comment

We shot those in the SSBC for the first week to work on marksmanship fundamentals prior to shooting the A1's.

Comment

• SemperFi
          SemperFi commented
          Editing a comment
          What sights were used?

How is the wood on that stock? I may have a couple of US M40x .22 stocks if you need a fresh one.

Comment

Stock is in really good shape, it could have been refinished at some point.

Comment

• MikeW
            MikeW commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice... i
            t does look like it is light in color. All my stocks have a dark patina . I'm digging the look with that scope on top.

• pmclaine
            pmclaine commented
            Editing a comment
            If its just a straight oil finish just keep building up additional finish with more oil.

Use either pure tung oil or pure linseed oil.

Tung oil gives better weather protection, not much better, but will not oxidize the nice military red color. It will enhance the grain of your stock but likely stay close to color.

If you use linseed oil it will darken and color over time to match a military finish.

I love oil finish.

Phil I can't figure out how to comment on your comment about the scope shake, perhaps a 14-16 power wouldb be best?

Comment

• pmclaine
            pmclaine commented
            Editing a comment
            Just be more of a cold blooded man than my girly self.

Last edited by pmclaine; 11-16-2017, 09:36 PM.

• SemperFi
            SemperFi commented
            Editing a comment
            I use 10 power at 1000 yards, and 20 power at 50 feet. Go figure.
            Beautiful rifle, Phil.

• pmclaine
            pmclaine commented
            Editing a comment
            The twenty power certainly makes the .22 targets seem all nice and big but magnification also magnifies movement.

It just makes your natural figure eight really seem noticeable and psychologically to me its like "wait, wait, wait, cant pull the trigger, wait, wait, wait for it...."

Its just an illusion though.

My .22 has a 20X Unertl and I most often shoot it at 50 yards. My wobble (pulse really as Im shooting off a bag) is the same regardless of what rifle Im using just with the smaller .22 targets at the shorter distance it seems the wobble is magnified.

Im still holding the same as with my other guns just doesnt look like it.

If I put the concerns about the movement out of my head and just break the trigger clean the shots go where they are supposed to.
            Last edited by pmclaine; 11-19-2017, 09:13 PM.

I built mine close to M40 clone . I used 700 Police stock , and a T 16 Weaver . It will shoot same hole most of the day . I’m afraid the misses are not the rifle issues , but the shooter . An absolute blast to shoot .

Comment

This is a fun project. I put mine in a return stock. Modified the trigger and also had to remove the safety due to the action doesn't have a cutout for the safety and I didn't want to hog the stock. (I believe all the USMC marked ones have the older 40x action (722) w/o the cutout for safety)

Other than that its a straight up drop in. I remember the bedding being a little tight around the recoil lug, so I used a little hand file to open up the width a little. I don't know where to find one now, but someone made some 20moa bases that almost exactly mimic the Unertl mount. THey were pretty cheap also. I wish I bought more of them.

For a scope I had an old Zeiss 4-14 put on. With the 20 moa base, I am able to dial to 300 yards, and with mil-dot rect hold for about another 50.

This rifle shoots exceptionally well. Ive had a couple 3 shot groups touching at 100 and for along time my record prairie dog kill was 342 yards with this rimfire. Only 1 shot. More luck than anything. (Recently I upped the anti with a 368 yd shot on my other rimfire @ 18.6 mils ele ha)

Anyway, good luck. I have been looking for an affordable barreled action to do an M40 one...I think the affordable days are past. At least people arnt looking to chop them up anymore (as much) for that stoopid repeater conversion. Ha.

Regards,
            DT

Comment

• Bildoe308
              Bildoe308 commented
              Editing a comment
              Sharp 22lr!

• SemperFi
              SemperFi commented
              Editing a comment
              Were those 20MOA bases the ones that had dovetails front and rear for the Redfield rings?

Vudoo Gunworks is making a 40X style action.

They are also producing a couple trainers that would be of interest to us...

https://www.vudoogunworks.com/rifles_hb/sinister/

https://www.vudoogunworks.com/rifles_hb/raven/
            "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Awesome stock D TROS...

Comment

Yes SemerFi, the base does indeed have front and rear dovetail. I used bottom screw rings as well. The bad part was I had to buy 2 sets and junk the other ring due to the double dovetail.

DT

Comment

• SemperFi
                  SemperFi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you. I think I have one of those. The angle looks more than 20MOA, but I haven't measured and calculated it yet. I bought it for when I build a rifle to my specs.
              Working...
              X