Advertisement

Collapse

X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Winchester 52 help

About a week ago, my son found this in the carpet while he was vacuuming.

Recognizing it as a quality blued part, and remembering I had my Winchester 52C action out of the stock around that part of the house a week prior, I suspected the broken screw head was from the Winchester. For the life of me I couldn't think where a screw head could have been broken off during my gunsmithing session.

Having the rifle out, I found out where the screw head came from. (The empty hole ahead of the visible receiver bolt head in the bolt way)

I believe this is a trigger housing screw. I never touched that screw during my gunsmithing.

Here's the thing. My rifle league season starts tomorrow. I've been doing a lot of dry firing, and even live fired the rifle to settle the action after reassembling the rifle. It performed without a hitch...so far, so I know it can be fired without that screw doing its job...again, so far.
    Is the trigger housing attached to the receiver at another point? Maybe a cross pin? Or is this screw its only attachment? Might it be possible to shoot through the season without that screw? I have a screw on order, but I don't like tearing in to firearms in the midst of an active shooting season, in case I run into further problems and render the weapon inoperable for an extended period of time. I may not even be able to remove what's left of the screw in the housing.

You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.
Working...
X