Advertisement

Collapse

X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L74a1

Mates favourite gun from his Ulster days - a nice short barrel folding stock 870 - similar to the Police model.

Not much 870 love on here guys! Thought the USMC were fans of the 870?

I stood post with the 870P as a USMC watchstander.

I currently have no shotgun to my name, well not entirely true there is a Browning sweet 16 in the safe, but I would be interested in a walnut stock, parkerized 870P.

We had folders on post but I could do without the skeletal cheek weld. 870 is a great gun.
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Sweet 16. NICE!

Another forum I'm on has a vendor with new in the box 870's with polymer stocks/phosphate finish for $230. The UK price on these is about 4 to 5 times that, we get screwed here by the importer mark ups, dealer costs, shipping costs, tax, etc.
      If I could buy a new 870 for $230 I'd be doing backward somersaults!!

Edinburgh police marksman I know said he liked the 870, but as per almost everyone that's used one, was NOT a fan of the metal stock.

On my foreign trips I hang around bookstores & gunshops. Picked up a copy of the Swedish Police handbook on the 870 when on a Stockholm weekend. Quite a good read, and not a translated Remington title as the cops are Nordic blonde types in Swedish police uniform.
      Got a black nylon police issue 870 forend at a gunshow in Finland for about 6 Euros. The folding stock are not legal to fit here, but good to go as a collectable....will maybe get one some day.

Was the 870P you had on issue fitted with the sight/bayonet lug assembly?

Comment

Not all 870s are the same. Try to get a P (police) model.

I understand they use some better parts in the action.

Ive never seen that "better" with my own eyes, maybe its just literature.
        "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Lots of options in the Rem M870 line since the original police model came out. Any parts for the original M870 Police will just slap and bolt together (see Note below) with either the Magnum, Express and Tactical models offered by Remington today in a dual 2-3/4 in. and 3 inch Magnum chambering. So, nothing would stop you from getting the 'Police' model look you want with the that flexible chambering upgrade.

Google 870 Police and 'Images' and you'll probably find a photo of something you'd like to copy/clone. The forearm with the fancy rear/bottom extension, will block loading shells into the tube magazine if it's in the rear most position. Other's mileage may vary.

Note: There is considerable variation in the width and height dimensions of the butt plates and recoil pads between the early and latest stocks for the M870.

Good luck!!
          Last edited by BoltTrash; 06-28-2017, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6157.JPG Views:	1 Size:	893.3 KB ID:	28176
            (L) Early 870 v. (R) New-ish 870 Express Magnum. Note difference in facing depth. New stock will require spacer (.071 inch) to fit the 870 receiver.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6166.JPG Views:	2 Size:	826.3 KB ID:	28178
            Early 870 has deeper hole for butt stock bolt (~ 5-1/4 inch,) requiring a shorter bolt to connect to receiver. Newer bolts are too long.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6167.JPG Views:	2 Size:	846.8 KB ID:	28180
            New-er stock has a shallower hole for butt stock bolt (~ 2-1/2 inch,) requiring a longer bolt (~ 10-5/16 inch) to connect to receiver. Old bolts are too short.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6158.JPG Views:	2 Size:	823.1 KB ID:	28182
            Measured through hole for bolt:
            (Rear) Early butt stock length at ~ 13-1/4 inch v. (Front) Newer butt stock length at ~ 12-1/2 inch lengths also differ.

Butt Stock Height & Width:

Early Butt stock: Height @ ~ 5.03 inch X Width @ ~1.780 inch

Newer Butt Stock: Height @ ~4-5/8 inch X Width @ ~ 1-9/16 inch

Bought a donor Exress Magnum and began purchasing vintage parts off the Internet and then started learning that Remington couldn't leave well enough alone... I stand (self)corrected. Forearm wood (?)- not a difference or problem. (Giv'em time...)

Can't figure out how I ended up with attachments, or how to edit them out-?? It's like a science project...

Attached Files
            Last edited by BoltTrash; 07-14-2017, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X