No announcement yet.

870 Mk I Bayonet Adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pic: check out closed gunbroker auction 894911492, one of the front ends you seek sold a few months back.

Comment

Originally posted by HarryB View Post
      Pic: check out closed gunbroker auction 894911492, one of the front ends you seek sold a few months back.
      Guessing $500 of that is the extension tube and stock swivel......I already have those.

So probably $135 will get me the adapter/bayonet stud, right?

.....and Im looking for a used one so take $35 off in depreciation.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/894911492
      "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Q. Is your barrel the wrong length for this clone? Besides, it's original to the receiver.

Slide off rear elevating sight and drift out the front sight blade, remove bases with screwdriver, leaving a clean barrel. The bases aren't soldered on. Recommend only purchasing 'complete' early rear sight assembly (4 individual parts), preferably with mounting screws, as individual parts can be a PITA to locate. Fill front sight threads with blank secured with Loctite.

No sense in making more work than you have to and you're ready for your MK I adapter and a trip to Gunblack.

That 870 clone has been on the market for easily over 2 years.

The 870 is the perfect platform for DIY modifications. Neat clone project tutorial pm. Nice to see something outside of the M40 spectrum.

Comment

Yes, my barrel is 20" I think the Mk 1 is 21 inch. Looks like my magazine tube extension will extend about a half inch beyond end of barrel. Pretty easy to rectify by getting a plain 2-3/4" chambered cylinder choke barrel and cutting it to length than affixing the rear sight.

Shotty is on its way to Gunblack.

Wood has had three applications of linseed oil using 400 wet dry paper lightly. Im into my second application using a light application with 1000 wet/dry. Than Ill do three with 1600 wet dry. After that nothing but hand oil until my metal comes back.

I asked Raven to keep an eye out when he gets some 1960's build materials and if he has a take off rear sight Id love to buy it.

Class at Sig Sauer today......Ill get back on the M40 band wagon by shooting some M40A1ish.
          Last edited by pmclaine; 05-20-2021, 06:47 AM.
          "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

I had this in my files:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...e-vietnam-war/

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...870-dm-shotgun
            jack1911

Comment

(Early) Remington Rifle sights on Ebay right now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15444936054...oAAOSwyR9gnZWk

For comparison:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37358099993...AAAOSwsSlgnqm6

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33397573325...sAAOSwapZghhMF

They aren't rare, but complete ones are apparently somewhat scarce. NUMRICH has parts, mostly bases and screws, everything else is out-of-stock. May, or may not have to hand re-contour base with emery paper to fit-up to a shotgun barrel profile. Gunbroker may have something to offer.

Comment

On Gunbroker right now:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/898972563

Rear and front sights left in factory hot blued finish? Rear sight had a white 'triangle' below the notch, which was really quick in snap-shooting situations with the slightly polished brass 'barley corn' front sight blade.

This is the kind of stuff that a gunsmith who has been in business for quite a while is very likely to have in a parts bin somewhere.

Comment

OR... One and Done:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26515889900...kAAOSw2LBgnTjB

Cut the 30 inch barrel to length and get a complete early rear sight in the bargain. Your 20 inch barrel will bring a premium price in the current market, offsetting the front-end load costs of this purchase. Considering the stand-alone price of a early rear sight and gun smithing installation costs, you'll probably come out a few bucks ahead when you're done.

Comment

BoltTrash!

Im already into this day for a good $1700 - cost of class, ammo and deciding to buy an over priced M18.......what the fuck do you have against my financial health?

I wish I had of put a mask on my wallet this morning.

Comment

Fuck me!

Just bought the complete barrel/sights......

Comment

Originally posted by pmclaine View Post
                        Fuck me!

Just bought the complete barrel/sights......
                        Well, that didn't take long... and you feel better already!

30" Barrel with Early Rear and Front sights installed @$222.00 + $14.20 S&H TTL @236.20
                        Applied Expense Offsets:
                        Early Remington Rear Sight (GB) $55.00 + 9.00 S&H @$59.00
                        Gunsmith Drill and Tap 2 holes $25.00 X2 @$50.00 TTL Offsets @($109.00)
                        NET Barrel Cost: @ $127.20

Direct Credits (Estimated):
                        Sell-off USED 20" Barrel w/sights @$160.00+
                        Sell USED Magazine Cap w/sling stud @$16.00
                        Sell USED Front sight w/screws @$40.00
                        Cost of sales @13% @($28.08) Sales: @ $187.92

NET Transaction: @ +$60.72

Apply NET TRANSACTION SURPLUS toward cutting barrel @21inches Balance: @ $0.00

Comment

I forgot... sell off that very nice 'corn cob' forestock and plain buttstock set and you'll have a nice few surplus bucks to put toward your Mk I Adapter. This project is practically paying for itself !!

Comment

I like your thinking BoltTrash.

Just bought a Sig Sauer commemorative MK18 $1050. $600 or so over a P320 because I wanted baby shit brown USMC controls ......and of course my 15% student discount didnt apply because - its "Commemorative".

Ill probably hold on to the new barrel for a bit.

My preference is for the shorty shotty unless I get that adapter.

Ill find a good Gunsmith that can cut that big barrel and prep it for the MK1 treatment.

Ill get it cut crowned send it off for parkerizing and have it standing by.

Comment

BoltTrash

When I get the thirty inch barrel I plan to remove the sights and send it right out to GunBlack.

Do you have any reference to as how the barrel cut is determined?

What is the datum from which the length of barrel is measured and what should be actual finish length.

I see it always referenced as a "21 inch barrel" but where from?

Comment

Originally posted by pmclaine View Post
                                BoltTrash

When I get the thirty inch barrel I plan to remove the sights and send it right out to GunBlack.

Do you have any reference to as how the barrel cut is determined?

What is the datum from which the length of barrel is measured and what should be actual finish length.

I see it always referenced as a "21 inch barrel" but where from?

pmc,

Note: I made a $5.00 error, thus reducing your net barrel costs to $122.50 v. the $127.50 previously reported. Accordingly, your new Net Transaction Surplus should appropriately reflect an adjusted sum of +$65.72 after correction. If you're already in trouble over your 'hobby' expenditures at home, I doubt bringing this point up will make any difference.

First, Patience... Gunblack isn't going anywhere. Shipping the new 30 inch barrel can wait for a little while longer, I think, BECAUSE:

There's really no pressing need to rush. You're very well situated with this project, right now. Almost all of the important parts of this project are 'big ticket' items that you don't want to purchase twice.

As I recall, your 870 receiver hasn't returned yet and you'll want to have that to provide two (2) fixed points of reference for the barrel measurement: a.) muzzle -and- b.) forward edge of the receiver. Presently, you have only one (1) of those in hand. (I'm presently at a disadvantage. My son borrowed my 870 and the barrel sets I have for it. I don't expect to ever see it again, but I'm hopeful.)

The information supplied in the link provided by member Piteously Uninformed is, along with your statement that the barrel length is 21.0 inches is the sum total of what I know about the barrel's specified length (which I was completely ignorant of prior to that), so I propose WAITING for your receiver to be returned, at which time we can 'back into' how the 'reported', not 'verified' 21.0 inch length is determined, using 'take-offs' from your other factory length barrels, in comparison - and- at the same time, see if it all works 'visually/proportionately' with your extended magazine mounted and in place.

What is the OAL of the Mk I bayonet adapter? That's a 'must know' specification as well, I think.

You'll need a good steel measuring tape, or a 24 inch / 36.0 inch steel ruler. I'm a big fan of using 3 inch, or 4 inch, blue 'painters tape' to establish a fixed point / intersecting line of measurement along the length of the barrel. It can be wrapped completely around your barrel and is removed without effort. When you decide on the final length, fixed/fitted tape can provide your gunsmith with a visual reference of exactly where you want the barrel cut. I've provided gunsmiths with verbal instructions, I've provided them with written instructions for barrel lengths, or specified barrel crown profiles, or rear sight placement and still managed to be holding a complete surprise when I picked them up. I must have been talking, or writing in Danish and didn't realize it. It must happen sometimes and I don't even realize it.

If you haven't already done so, mount and test loading your extended magazine to full capacity. Many times, a little filing and emery paper work needs to be done to the leading interior edge of the 870's magazine tube, which may have a slight 'crimp' to the exposed leading edge. While you're at it, checkout the mating edge of your extended magazine, as well.

Personally, I'd want to know, BEFORE cutting the 30 inch barrel that it's just not CALLED a 21.0 inch barrel, when in actuality it's 21.25 inches. The firearms industry is famous for what we'll call "nominal" measurements. Examples of this very thing are too numerous to provide here.

THEN, all concerns being satisfied, send it to Gunblack, or in alternative, run your Mk I bayonet adapter down, test fit it and send the whole lot out for final finishes.

This is a neat project and tutorial for someone to follow.

To Be Continued,

BT

Comment

• pmclaine
                                  pmclaine commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Just to ruin your math more.....

I didnt hit "Buy it Now" on the shotgun barrel.

I offered $175.

He came back with a $25 off reply.

So total cost was $220.06 shipped.

I have to be cheap where possible.
                              Working...
                              X