No announcement yet.

870 Mk I Bayonet Adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Salad dressing mix". I was hanging out at my LGS. While they were a typical gun store all the owners were pretty big into military surplus rifles. Which also meant they had a ton of GI manuals. I came across a 1950s dated GI manual that pertained to NM M1 Garands. The mix is a 1 to 1 to 1 mix of boiled linseed oil, turpentine, and distilled white vinegar. Shake well, apply liberally to stock. Let sit about 10-15 minutes, wipe down real well. (If you let it sit too long it will get tacky, you don't want that) Let sit overnight then repeat. Continue until the stock won't accept any more of the mix. Me personally, only a couple of times had to do 3 or more coats.
    I am one who can appreciate some of the stocks you see that come out looking like fine furniture, sanded out to 1000 grit and such,, but that's not my style. I prefer no sanding, and will only steam dents or dings if they are bad and if the stock warrants it. I have been using this mix since the early 80s on all 28 or so US wood/steel rifles I own.
    The breakdown: The turpentine thins the linseed oil so it penetrates deeper. I learned from an old time contractor when I was hired to oil beams in a new timber frame house we built that linseed oil actually attracts mold/mildew. (you may have seen white stuff on GI stocks that have been pulled out of very long term storage.. That is white mold. The vinegar in my salad dressing kills mold and also cleans the wood..
    The aroma of the mix kinda reminds me of a salad dressing and hence the name I use.
    As for a washer, the only pic I've seen of the swivel mounted on the top of the stock for the M37 with side swivel is that one I posted above from one of the books. No clue if a washer was used, no clue what exact swivel or mount was used, can't tell from the pic. The stud I'm using has a black washer on it and I do plan to use it. I had thought about inletting a Springfield 03 lower swivel but decided I'd rather start with just a single hole for the QD stud, and if I find out later something else was used it won't take much to change it out.
    Here is a thread I posted on the M14 forum that may interest you. Original pics were stolen by photobucket, new ones posted later in the thread. I wasn't working on any stocks at the time, but had a nice 4"x4" chunk of American Black Walnut to show what the mix does.:
    Qs re: my "salad dressing" mix Update 2/16 pics | M14 Forum

Comment

This has been my guide to GI wood care...

Click image for larger version

Name:	24.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	50131

Name:	25.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	50132

Your "recipe" makes sense in what it is intended to do.

I use plain cold pressed just for its ease of maintenance while understanding it lacks a lot in the weather proof dept. I enjoy the rifle care time though.

My current shot gun stocks Im working....

Name:	image (1).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	756.3 KB
ID:	50133

Name:	image (2).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	608.6 KB
ID:	50134

I dont usually do so but these are being "sanded in" with wet/dry paper ending at 1500 grit.

"...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Working...
      X