WTB Original M40A1 smear stock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB Original M40A1 smear stock

I know, I know.... Finding one that someone is willing to part with is near impossible. Yet, here I am asking. I've always wanted to do an M40A1 build, since that's the gun I carried in combat. I was happy to just use the standard woodland camo pattern until I went back and looked at some old pictures. I guess these things don't really register until you get older and start collecting. But, these pics show me carrying the "Gray Ghost", my M40A1 that seems to have had a really nice original smear stock. By the way, my rifle serial number was 224477, in case anyone has seen that floating around.

Anyway, I know what these are worth, so I'm willing to pay. Just need to find a good smear stock that someone is willing to part with. Needs to be correct and ready for use in a M40A1 build. Please make my dreams come true! Thanks!

Me with the Gray Ghost and 3/5's Maritime Interception Sniper Team aboard USS Tripoli circa 1990.
    Attached Files

Comment

With a buddy aboard USS Vancouver heading to Desert Storm. Note the beautiful smear stock on that gun!
      Attached Files

Comment

Thats how I remember A1s when I was in - no paint allowed.
        "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Awesome pictures, good luck with your quest My Friend!
          It would be great to see one of these stocks taken out of a collection in a closet someplace and put back into use...
          DW

Comment

I just was able to secure 224313 recently. It isn't for sale but I thought I would post to show they are still out there.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by DeepC Infidel; 05-19-2018, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• deltawiskey
              deltawiskey commented
              Editing a comment
              That's going to be a Bad-Ass set of rifles!!
              DW

I picked up a Scout Sniper Association receiver for the build. I'm hoping it turns out well! I am staying on the lookout for scope number 1650 or 1114 as those were listed in the weapon record book.
            Last edited by DeepC Infidel; 05-19-2018, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Tim, out of curiosity can you remember your scope serial number as well?
              Last edited by macethetemplar; 05-19-2018, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I struggled with the decision all weekend but I will help you out. The smear stock in the middle is yours if you want it. The finish is near perfect still and better than my other two stocks pictured.

Its technically more of a Semi-Smear when the one you carried was an earlier smear like the one above. Still the same timeframe just a few months later production and still the real deal.

EDIT: For anyone looking to help Tim out he is looking for an early smear 'mostly green' smear like the one's pictures above by DeepC not a semi smear.
                Last edited by macethetemplar; 05-23-2018, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• deltawiskey
                  deltawiskey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow!
                  That's a dead sexy stock, and impressively generous thing to do!
                  DW

Mace- That is the coolest thing I’ve seen in a long time, and very honorable. You sir are a good man. Tim is a very good person glad it worked out, if anyone deserved this it’s him. Great story! That’s gonna make a hell of A1

Comment

Originally posted by macethetemplar View Post
                  Tim,

I struggled with the decision all weekend but I will help you out. The smear stock in the middle is yours if you want it. The finish is near perfect still and better than my other two stocks pictured.

Its technically more of a Semi-Smear when the one you carried was an earlier smear like the one above. Still the same timeframe just a few months later production and still the real deal.

Check your PM's.

Mace
                  PM sent! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by macethetemplar View Post
                    Tim, out of curiosity can you remember your scope serial number as well?
                    I don't remember my old scope number. I recently bought a CMP auction scope, serial number 1313. That's what will go on this build.

Comment

• TimP8541
                      TimP8541 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      1313 - definitely bad luck for whoever's on the wrong end of it!

• SDWhirlwind
                      SDWhirlwind commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Now all you need to find is a 6 digit with 666 as last 3 numbers! Sorry, couldn't help myself.lol

• Raven 6
                      Raven 6 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I actually had a .308 with the last three digits as "666". I regret selling that rifle.

Bump.... Still looking for the one!

Comment

Another bump...

A couple guys have said they've got a smear, but I haven't convinced anyone to agree to part with one! If you have more than one, please share the wealth! I know what these things are worth, and I'll pay the piper for a good one.

Comment

Still looking! Again, I know what they're worth and will pay your asking price. Just got to have the right stock for the build!

Comment

Working...
                        X