New Guy Checking In

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy Checking In

I decided I may need a 1941A1 (were they ever called that?) USMC Sniper clone and the person I'm working with also directed me here since you never know when you need an M40! I shoot at Quantico on weekends and know several of you here from Range 4. Chief Master Sergeant, retired. I did 27 years and retired off the Security Forces Staff at the Pentagon where I was the top enlisted cop. Glad to be here and hope to continue the learning.

Welcome you will no doubt learn whatever you need to here. I think what you are trying to build is a Model 1903 A1 (M1903A1). By 1941 they were building the A3 and then A4 which was basically the same as the A3 they just moved the stamping so it could be seen when a scope was mounted. The M1903A1 had the long USMC Unertl Telescope and were produced prior to WWII.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...mory-us-1903a1

Comment

Originally posted by macethetemplar View Post
      Welcome you will no doubt learn whatever you need to here. I think what you are trying to build is a Model 1903 A1 (M1903A1). By 1941 they were building the A3 and then A4 which was basically the same as the A3 they just moved the stamping so it could be seen when a scope was mounted. The M1903A1 had the long USMC Unertl Telescope and were produced prior to WWII.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...mory-us-1903a1
      What a beautiful rifle - thanks for the link!

I will be building a clone and starting with a solid rifle worked by Chuck in Denver. I've located a commercial 8x Unertl but the price is hurting my head. I also am closing on a beautiful Lyman Jr TargetSpot that's basically new. So, do I buy once cry once, or buy then upgrade. A rhetorical question but one for the ages considering the money we put into this hobby. Okay, I'm rambling...

Comment

Hey I know you.

I thought you might appreciate this space.

Lyman scopes were used by the Marine Corps so you are at least keeping it real but you will be hard pressed to find data that they were ever attached to a "Rifle Model 1903 with telescopic sight" which that or some close version of was the official USMC nomenclature for the rifle. Unsure where M1941 came from but its in common use.

A fine gentleman with the web identity CplNorton is the guru for all things historical related to 1903s. He is a great resource and owns an original rifle.

Your object is to actually use your rifle in the CMP vintage sniper program you have to decide historical accuracy or performance. Not only that but the rules of the game come into play and the only things you can possibly gain advantage on are legal tweaks to tune your as issued rifle or perhaps a new manufacture barrel. I think White Oak is making a 1903 barrel now and that would really intrigue me if I ever had to rebarrel an 03.

I mentioned to you yesterday a turtoriol someone had posted at the CMP Forum...this is the link.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=151665

I found it interesting and always get interested to watch people with skills work.

You should be good to go.

The only thing you may want to do is tweak the tension of your action screws for best accuracy and reload a round or find commercial that shoots well in this rifle rather than being limited by having been manufactured for another rifle.
        "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Originally posted by pmclaine View Post
          Hey I know you.

I thought you might appreciate this space.

Lyman scopes were used by the Marine Corps so you are at least keeping it real but you will be hard pressed to find data that they were ever attached to a "Rifle Model 1903 with telescopic sight" which that or some close version of was the official USMC nomenclature for the rifle. Unsure where M1941 came from but its in common use.

A fine gentleman with the web identity CplNorton is the guru for all things historical related to 1903s. He is a great resource and owns an original rifle.

Your object is to actually use your rifle in the CMP vintage sniper program you have to decide historical accuracy or performance. Not only that but the rules of the game come into play and the only things you can possibly gain advantage on are legal tweaks to tune your as issued rifle or perhaps a new manufacture barrel. I think White Oak is making a 1903 barrel now and that would really intrigue me if I ever had to rebarrel an 03.

I mentioned to you yesterday a turtoriol someone had posted at the CMP Forum...this is the link.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=151665

I found it interesting and always get interested to watch people with skills work.

You should be good to go.

The only thing you may want to do is tweak the tension of your action screws for best accuracy and reload a round or find commercial that shoots well in this rifle rather than being limited by having been manufactured for another rifle.
          Oh, oh, don't get me started on the CMP Rules.

I just want to shoot and try and better my performance. I shoot a lot of steel at 1,000y. Immediate auditory feedback and repeatability, but on a 12x20 2/3rds IPSC. When I switched to KDs, I saw how bad I had become in fundamentals. My rifle is .25-.50 MOA but I was shooting 1MOA or higher. Steel is fun, KDs are humbling.

Thanks for the link, I check out the thread.

I closed a deal on one optic and may be working a second. We'll see how they work out.

Comment

Welcome to the M40! I'm looking forward to seeing your project, its one I'm interested in building at some point also...
            DW

Comment

Welcome Aboard! I will be patiently awaiting a range report on your new project!

Comment

Working...
              X