Gotta Luv the Pawn Shop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta Luv the Pawn Shop

I do my best to visit local gun shops when I travel. A couple of weeks ago it was a bust in Oak Ridge, just s terribly down market there and nothing in the single shop in town. Here in Huntsville it's a bit different with so many Gun & Pawn stores. I visited "Larrys" who has been in business for 40 years now and has to convenient locations. Nothing of note, but I thought I post some pictures anyways. My heart did flutter a bit when I noted a woodland camo stock on the shelf, alas, it was not to be. Sorry for the iPotato pics and the lighting on the glass in the cabinets was killing me.
    Last edited by Defender3; 10-31-2018, 06:35 PM.

More pictures.

Comment

Even more pictures.

Comment

And more pictures.

Comment

Trying to kill the server...

Comment

Last ones...

Comment

Love places like that.

How much was he asking for the messed with "K" Smear?

Hope you bought that one.
              "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

• Defender3
                Defender3 commented
                Editing a comment
                $1200. He thinks the money is in the Vortex.

Possible return stock.

Id have McMillan refill the DBM and move ahead with an exceptional A1 clone.

The Vortex would be in the WTS section at Snipers Hide.

Likely someone on here has data on that build, probably has been posted somewhere before.
              "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

• Defender3
                Defender3 commented
                Editing a comment
                S/N is B6578985

Yeah serial doesn't really fit a known range, as far as I know, so it's not like someone was trying an authentic build.

The stock is a gem in the rough because the DBM was cut.

There are a finite, never to be more made, number of smears in the world.
              Last edited by pmclaine; 10-31-2018, 10:10 PM.

Comment

What was the rail is it lugged?

Comment

• Defender3
                  Defender3 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just posted a pic of the rail. Doesn't look special. Wonder if it came in the shop that way...

Dang...I would have to see if he would sell without the Vortex if he thinks that's the money! That's a sweet looking stock! Lots of possibility
                DW

Comment

Maybe I should offer him $500 and buy him a Magpul for a replacement.

Comment

Some more.

Comment

Okay rail is not lugged. How was the stock forend? Anything messed with up there?

Wonder if the metal inserts are in the stock or was this just a commercial stock from the Smear period?

Maybe metal was used in all stocks?

Deffinitely a cool stock for someone like me that accepts close enough.

Comment

• pmclaine
                        pmclaine commented
                        Editing a comment
                        They are not the correct swivels but perhaps Wichitas can be fit.

The USMC McMillans most often are seen with the brown Pachmayer basket weave pad but there were black pads on some of the returns. Look up some of Skunks posts, I'm pretty sure he has a black pad return. Perhaps it's in the "Just Because" thread.

If I walked in a million gun shops I doubt I'd walk in to one with a Smear on the rack. Not my luck.

That stock needs some work but it has value.

• Defender3
                        Defender3 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'll look up the thread as I thought they only had the brown pads. Jeezs, you're getting me all giddy.

• SemperFi
                        SemperFi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        "Maybe metal was used in all stocks?"

No.

I'm guessing someone on here is Googling "Huntsville", "Larrys", "Pawn" and will be calling at business opening.

Comment

• Defender3
                        Defender3 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If they do, I will be putting paper cuts on their eyeballs. Anyways, they are closed for the night, and since there is more that one Larrys, they'll have to get the right one to call. By then I'll be there and have closed the deal. Then I'll head over the Mr. Big Guns to see what they have.
                    Working...
                    X