New Arrivals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Arrivals

It's been a good week for new arrivals, now I need to find some time to shoot. Honeydew list is all centered around raking leaves today though...

Sweet!

Is that McMillan's attempt to reproduce the smear pattern?

Comment

• Defender3
      Defender3 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a McMillan reproduced smear.

That M40A1 is a post Clark C&H. It was built this year.

Comment

• Defender3
      Defender3 commented
      Editing a comment
      When did Dave leave? How do you know this rifle?

• reese3303
      reese3303 commented
      Editing a comment
      Dave left some time in 2016. I think most would say to steer clear with builds that Dave did not do.
      Rifle is listed on arfcom so I asked the guy a few questions about it.

What are the particulars on the M40?

All goes well I will be shooting mine in about 2 hours.
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

• pmclaine
      pmclaine commented
      Editing a comment
      Scope looks great.

A Toki creation?

I have a "1 inch" Redfield Id like to get a mil dot reticle in and have tokiwartooth work his magic on.

Great looking 40.

Hope today is the end of my dicking with what should already be known - load for my 40.

• reese3303
      reese3303 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice looking M40!!

• Defender3
      Defender3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I'm also following the load recipes too. I have some 175s and some 178s I may try after I break in the 40 and A1, neither has been shot yet.

Awesome rifles!!! That M40 is beautiful

There was a thread on here with pictures of smear stocks reproduced by C&H by using paint not too long ago. Maybe this is one of those stocks??

Comment

• Defender3
      Defender3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Can't say, seller said it was a McMillan. I'll have to look closer.

• Defender3
      Defender3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Seller insists it is a factory McMillan and if you want to wait a year, you can get one too.

The "painted" ones were McMillans.

They just dicked with the dyes, painted or perhaps a third party painted them......cant recall, but remember they were "prototype" gauging interest.
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Kelly made a statement saying Mcmillan would never reproduce the smears as to not decrease the value of the real ones.
      Think a 3rd party painted over the repro htg stocks bc Mmcillan wouldn't do it. Plus the manufacturing process is different now than when the smears were made in his garage.

Comment

I found the thread where these were discussed, not a lot of info, but some pictures if anyone is interested.

https://www.m40rifle.com/forum/m40a1...w-smear-stocks

Comment

• Defender3
          Defender3 commented
          Editing a comment
          One of those pictured stocks is on my rifle.

Originally posted by reese3303 View Post
        Kelly made a statement saying Mcmillan would never reproduce the smears as to not decrease the value of the real ones.
        Think a 3rd party painted over the repro htg stocks bc Mmcillan wouldn't do it. Plus the manufacturing process is different now than when the smears were made in his garage.
        Kind of a bunch of hooey. Here's the one I had to twist their arm to do in 1990. Looks pretty smearish to me, so it can be done. And, this was after they had changed to the opaque dyes, and I hadn't heard any such rumor at the time. However, this was also at a time before the M40A1 bug had gone public. Never say never.

Last edited by SemperFi; 11-11-2018, 06:01 PM.
        You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

• Defender3
          Defender3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree, you can never say never.

I have a line on this McMilan, but it just may be out of reach.

Comment

I can reach it for you if you need me too....

Comment

• Defender3
            Defender3 commented
            Editing a comment
            That would be nice.

Could we hear more about the 40?

Comment

• Defender3
            Defender3 commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm kind of new to this so feel free to ask specifics if I there is something you want to know. This was RoughHewn's rifle and he detailed it here:

https://www.m40rifle.com/forum/m40/21888-m40-build

In that thread you can also see how he had the scope rebuilt and there is a link in the thread to a discussion about the scope. RoughHewn did keep the original eBay stock and replaced it with a PSS stock that he crafted back to original specs. Unfortunately, RoughHewn suffered a medical condition and he couldn't shoot this one, so that will be up to me to break it in. I just need to find a day to get the rifle to to the range and break in the barrel while getting the scope on target and getting the mount's windage correct and set All-in-all, a nice tribute rifle, IMHO.
            Last edited by Defender3; 11-12-2018, 06:45 AM.

• Majikani
            Majikani commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice! Congratulations on both rifles.

Ah, no wonder why that M40 looks so great...roughhewn does amazing work on those stocks!! I certainly hope he is going to be ok!
          You have a pair of outstanding rifles my friend, thank you for sharing with us
          DW

Comment

• Defender3
            Defender3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! There are so many fine looking rifles on this site. People have taken the time to gather parts and build some superb examples of period weapons.

I’m glad to see this came back on track. Did Kelly McMillan say that he wouldn’t repeat the mistake of the original smear pattern so as to not devalue the originals? Yes he did and it’s right there on tMcMillan’s website.

However, McMillan has made some and here they are, to include one of two (2) M3A stocks made in the smear pattern. So apparently the mighty dollar outweighs any concern for the value of something McMillan was already paid for. Honestly, do you believe for one moment that McMillan cares that you paid $2k for a 30 year old $100 stock, especially when they aren’t receiving a commission?

Please, don’t be so Naïve

Now, to the best of my knowledge in regards to how the A1 stocks made it out, no one who was in the program office then can confirm that they were acquired by McMillan in the form of some quasi exchange program.

What is true is that many were “liberated” by the 2112’s in the PWS shop. While I’m not going to speculate as to the legality of this, it was done and being that they’re not controlled items would have probably just ended up in Prince William or Stafford counties landfill.

I will admit that every step was taken to not expose the rifles to salt water, and when it did happen, they were evacuated to Quantico. However, they were exposed to salt air and could go many years without inspection as only 2112s were allowed to pull out the action. However, that exposure to salt air caused corrosion on some of the steel parts of the stock and in contact with the stock which in turn led to micro fissures.

In addition, McMillan was really pissed that the program team opted for a modular chassis versus one of their stocks. So that’s why they’ll make them, because we who actually carried one will buy it for nostalgia reasons and there are always those who want to feel some connection to the aforementioned.

So, if you paid $2k for your stock. Don’t be denigrating those who have a new production one. After all, yours has “history” now, granted that history is 99.9% related to being dragged around stalk lanes, firing more blanks than live rounds with a side of micro fissures. But it was at one time a piece of Marine Corps property.

Last edited by rogue7a; 11-12-2018, 09:32 AM. Reason: paragraph formatting

Comment

• Defender3
            Defender3 commented
            Editing a comment
            I think you may have an incomplete thought in your last sentence.

Mobile version doesn't have an edit button. I have consolidated my post above.
          Last edited by rogue7a; 11-12-2018, 09:29 AM. Reason: mobile version doesn't have an edit button

Comment

Working...
          X