Alpha prefixes on Receivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha prefixes on Receivers

i’ve noticed that the prefix to the serial number on the receivers are often mentioned. A few days ago I saw a rifle where the seller noted that it was a C prefix receiver, so I thought I would see if I could find the manufacturing date. I saw that those prefixes cycle through every 20(?) years or so. When that happens do they just add a digit to the number?

Please forgive my ignorance but I’m trying to learn.

Richard

They cycled thru the prefixes a lot quicker than that, a was 70 thru late 70,s then b thru mid eighties, then c. Fairly exact dates in John Laceys book.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Next question, I guess, is what book? I am not familiar with that author and Amazon isn’t helping me.

Comment

I did manage to find it on my second effort, but it is a little out of my price range at $400! But it brings up the fact that I am way behind in my reading. Please, anybody, give me some recommendations for reading.

Comment

The Death From Afar series by Chandler, and The One Round War by Senich are great reference books on the M40 series of rifles, USMC Winchester model 70, and lots of others... great raeding also!
          DW

Comment

Working...
          X