Critique my new M40ish build please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critique my new M40ish build please

This is where Im going to go with the $150 walnut stock I picked up off Ebay. Sows ear into a silk purse I am hoping.

Particularly interested in experience with my choice of barrel twist. Im kind of wedded to going with a ridiculous fat profile - just one of my crutches.

Intending to give this to Long Rifles Inc to build. I realize stuff like his rail mounting will not be A3/A5 spec but it looks pretty bullet proof.

Going to mock up a barrel profile on butcher paper to get an idea of how big a barrel I can install without taking away too much wood. The wood is actually pretty stout. Its trim in the wrist where I want it so but pretty beefy through the belly and fore end.

My build ideas...........any comment/criticism is appreciated.

1. Modify 5 digit receiver to fit USMC M40 style lugged scope base. Stripper clip cut (my receiver is already partially cut per early Remington spec), cut rails, thumb cut. Optic will use Badger lugged base, supplied by pmcLaine, with 8-40 screws as per USMC M40 spec. I want the left side rail radius to meet the radius of the Badger rail similar to how the thumb cut radius should meet the radius of the Badger rail – I think that is a detail that looks “pretty” and rifles should be pretty.

2. Blue print R700 5 digit receiver. True up bolt face and lap lugs to receiver. Check timing on bolt handle. Ive been lucky to never have any M700 have primary extraction issues. These early Remingtons seem to extract/eject just fine.

3. Finish/Install carbon steel 1:8 LH twist Bartlein barrel blank. Chamber for .308. Length to be 18 inches from bolt face. Finish crown with Hunter style recessed target crown, Flat muzzle, straight side walls. I would like the raised “band” of the crown wide like early USMC M40A1s with Atkinsson barrels had. Im using a truck axle barrel so there is material to allow for sufficient area to be recessed around the bore and the raised area would be a bit thicker. The rifle “artist” will know the “Golden Means” dimensions.

4. Use LRI Heavy Tactical Recoil Lug to marry receiver/barrel and stock.

5. Install/Fit LRI Detachable Bottom Metal for Remington 700SA. Provide 2 five round AI magazines and 1 ten round AI magazine. Talk to me about AIAW mods to my receiver. I like the idea of the staggered feed magazines and their smaller projection from the rifle. I am not concerned about modifying the receiver to do AIAW. The mags must function reliably.

6. Install provided two inch AccuShot/BT bipod rail and 1.25 inch Wichita swivels. Install rail as close to front tip of stock as structure, function, and aesthetics allow. Install front Wichita as close to rail as function allows. I will be using a canvas sling (Quick Cuff) which wont be as thick as a leather M1907, as long as the loop can rotate forward without touching the rail that should be enough space between the two. Bottom Wichita is a wood screw style.

7. Install pillars/bed action in wood stock using LRI awesome looking process. The stock was the impulse buy genesis of this whole endeavor and is probably the cheapest/weakest part of the whole project. Good bedding/pillars, solid LRI DBM and an unstressed receiver will clamp that wood tight negating any of its weakness. Barrel channel currently has a lightening cut in the forearm. If this is filled with epoxy to create a smooth consistent barrel channel the entire length of the stock I think structurally that is a good thing. It will fill bury the hardware for the Wichita swivel and Accu Shot 2 inch bipod rail, release agent the mount screws for removal after filling. Check balance on rifle and bring center of gravity back to the front of trigger guard by adding weight under the butt plate if necessary.

8. I fit Remington 16601 butt plate to about 95%. I don’t have the correct tools to get the slightly proud edge of the aluminum to match the wood without risking banging up the stock. Please check fit of butt plate and if you see room to improve…..do it.

9. Punch Mark last 4 digits of serial number in USMC tradition on following parts…
    a. Scope base – front, left
    b. DBM – Just behind front action screw, perpendicular with action (if there is room).
    c. Bolt handle, at top flat of bolt handle root, parallel with action
    d. Buttplate on inside not seen when installed
    e. Lug, on lower front, non bearing side.

10. Barrel/receiver are carbon steel. Id like Parkerizing for a finish. All guns with carbon steel should be Parkerized. I love that stuff.

11. Hot Blue, matte finish, the bolt and shroud. Blue or Black Oxide the firing pin indicator to match.

12. Mil spec. Type III hard anodize the LRI DBM to as close as possible match the parkerized barreled action.

13. Mil spec. Type III hard anodize the butt plate a matte black. If your Parkerizing finish is more toward a black color just have the DBM and BP match. If your Parkerizing is of the gray shade than go with a black butt plate and have the DBM match the action.

14. Lets talk about builder barrel marking. I want LRI logo on there, proud to fly your flag, but I want subdued.. Right side just forward of lug. Caliber/install date on barrel as required by custom/law – left side just forward of lug - .308 Win – date code underside of barrel unseen.

15. I will apply multiple coats of Pure Cold Pressed Linseed oil to finish the stock. Hand rubbing stocks and watching the color change as it oxidizes is a personal reward. I will send the stock to you with this process already started and expect during build bruises and stuff may happen. Just send it back as is because the beauty of linseed oil is that some hand love restores the beauty.
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Mocked up my barrel profile....

Intent is a Bartlein 1:8 LEFT hand twist. 21 inch OAl, 1.25 inch cylinder 4 inches long, Straight taper to .90 inch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PC299070.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	45847

Name:	PC299071.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	45848

Name:	PC299072.JPG
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	45849

Name:	PC299073.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	45850

Name:	PC299074.JPG
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	45851

Name:	PC299075.JPG
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	45852

Name:	PC299076.JPG
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	45853
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
    X