• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Sniper Quantico 09-09-17

A great day once again at Quantico

Originally posted by varifleman View Post
    A great day once again at Quantico
    As in...85% humidity?
    You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

I was there, I'm sure we talked. I had the Wichester 70. Great second day too, not too windy for 1K yards for a change.

Comment

"RandomGuy" should have a picture or two also.

Comment

I was only able to attend on Sunday, but glad I did as the weather was picture perfect, and its the only place where I can shoot at 800 and 1000 yds with formal targets - and target pullers too(!). Its a great event for those who can attend, well-run and with the volunteer target pullers there, the match runs quickly and smoothly.

More guys showed up on Saturday for the 300 and 600 yard event (a lot of guys practice with their 1903A1s for the CMP event at this Quantico event, but skip the Sunday match).

I met Hlavinka and some other enthusiasts yesterday, so that was nice. The PWS guy didn't bring out the USMC M40A1s this weekend, but maybe next time. I saw several M40A1 clones, one other M40A5 clone, a couple of wood stocked M40 clones, a couple of 1903A4s with 2.5x scopes, an M24R, and an original Swedish M41B sniper rifle.

I think the best shooter yesterday was one of the "PWS regulars" who used his M40A1 w/ Weaver T-10 to shoot a phenomenal 196 at 800 yds, and a 195 at 200 yards. I'm not sure how many X's he had, but only dropping 9 points at this range is really good shooting(!). I won't share my score as I didn't so as well as I did last year with my M24R, but sometimes that happens for reasons unknown...I blame it on the sometimes finicky wind and my wind calls, but I was feeling a little out of practice too.

At the end of the day the range officer let me try a couple of shots out of his 1903A4 w/ little 2.5x Weaver scope at 1000 yards, and despite the cross-hairs obscuring most of the target, I managed to hit within the 9 ring and then 10 ring for my two shots.!?...that was rather surprising, and really quite a challenge. Huge difference from my S&B at 12x...

Anyhow, another fun event was had by all. The next event will be in April 2018 for those who can attend. Highly recommended event(!)
          Last edited by Random Guy; 09-12-2017, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Nice!

im hoping to make it to one of these-maybe April but not holding my breath. Just working out details now to ship my parts to Raven...

Comment

Thanks for the report. I hope more pictures are posted. I guess the M40A5 is vintage now that the M40A6 is being fielded
              You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

A few pics of the participants from Saturday

Comment

This is a bucket list event.
                  "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Thanks for posting the pic's! They bring back great memories of the I/S matches there.

Comment

Working...
                    X