Advertisement

Collapse

X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Raven6.......

My name is Phil and I have a problem.......
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PB287788.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	4.10 MB
ID:	31856

That 5 digit receiver is absolutely beautiful, looks barely used.

Bartlein will be about 6 months out from date of order on the barrel.

I may try to get the barrel ordered tomorrow.

M40 contour (Rem Varmint) to M40 length, .223 5R, Carbon Steel, 7.7 RH twist, Ill probably have it crowned in an Atkinson wide band style, Wylde chamber.

Stock will be pillared and bedded in M40A1 style.

Scope will either be my glossy Redfield 3-9X with plain crosshair or perhaps one of the green Redfield repros that I wish had the internals they come with but the looks of the Chinese Leatherwood Malcolm which more closely resembles the old Redfield. Im thinking the Mil Reticle will be handy if I zero this at say 200 yards than just use holdovers/unders.

Comments, questions, considerations?
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Only problem I see is the six-month wait for that barrel... NICE!

Comment

• pmclaine
      pmclaine commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem, good things come to those that wait.

Im going to do a M40 in .223 just like you, Wylde chamber and probably 1/8 twist ....going to order a trued action and either a Bartlein or a Shilen barrel .... besides kicking like a mule most rifle ranges here near Dallas don't allow me to shoot long enough to really test out my .308 M40 so .223 will work well for the distance and it will allow me to test out loads for my AR15 Service Rifle too.

Comment

• pmclaine
      pmclaine commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep Im tracking your progress on your post.

Im very interested in your progress and looking forward to your first range report.

Im thinking the .223 will be a good introduction for the kids to center fire. Still a long ways out for that so I will have mega fun with it and it gives me another wood rifle to practice some oil rubbing love with.

Parkerizing and oiled walnut are my fav colors.........

Maybe give Gary Schneider a call on a barrel. I think they shoot better than Bart and he usually has a couple in stock...oh ya and they are "spec" ha.

Nothing like nice wood on a rifle.

Good call on 2 bolts...now you can shoot twice as fast!!

Regards,
    DT

Comment

• pmclaine
      pmclaine commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a Schneider, I have a Kreiger, I want to try a Bartlein and they seem to have a good understanding of M40 barrels.

Im also wanting to Park the barreled receiver, is Gary all stainless steel?

The receiver came with a .308 bolt. I was able to find an orphaned 6 digit .223 bolt.

Im going to keep the .308 bolt just in case I ever need a replacement on my M40A1ish.

I love the old early bolt handle profile.

Originally posted by pmclaine View Post
    My name is Phil and I have a problem.......

Name:	PB287788.JPG
Size:	4.10 MB
ID:	31856

That 5 digit receiver is absolutely beautiful, looks barely used.

Bartlein will be about 6 months out from date of order on the barrel.

I may try to get the barrel ordered tomorrow.

M40 contour (Rem Varmint) to M40 length, .223 5R, Carbon Steel, 7.7 RH twist, Ill probably have it crowned in an Atkinson wide band style, Wylde chamber.

Stock will be pillared and bedded in M40A1 style.

Scope will either be my glossy Redfield 3-9X with plain crosshair or perhaps one of the green Redfield repros that I wish had the internals they come with but the looks of the Chinese Leatherwood Malcolm which more closely resembles the old Redfield. Im thinking the Mil Reticle will be handy if I zero this at say 200 yards than just use holdovers/unders.

Comments, questions, considerations?
    I am just curious why you would use a Wylde chamber on a bolt gun? It's been a very long time since I have thought about this but I think there may be better choices as this piece you plan is not a semi-auto.

When I was young the old-timers always said "pick your bullet, then your reamer". Now I'm old and get to say it

Have the the best day.

Comment

• pmclaine
      pmclaine commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats a good question and I posted because I have time to mine the conventional wisdom bank.

Most often when I see stuff about .223 its in relation to AR.

The consensus of Wylde is that it will chamber just about any bullet well.

I basically only reload 77 grain SMK/Nosler CCs.

If Wylde is more of a semi feeding benefit than an accuracy benefit I have no issue with a different match style chamber.

When I reload I dont intend to reload specific to this gun.

More than likely Ill be firing AR mag length ammo.

I doubt you are that old.

• steveu
      steveu commented
      Editing a comment
      The "Wylde" chamber was originally developed for "boltguns" by Bill Wylde of Greenup, Illinois. He told me that he developed it to shoot the 5.56 that was being issued at the DCRA matches at Connaught. He told me that he started to shoot the 5.56 vice the 7.62 due to the bad accuracy of the 7.62 issue ammo, ( I was told that the 7.62 was used for ballast in a Canadian Navy ship before the DCRA got it). Bill told me that it also shot the 80gr SMK very well.

Looks nice, I was just speaking to someone yesterday who used Bartlein for his M40 and he said they did a good job with the contour and such.

As he said it would be nice if Remington would just turn out some barrels without their typical writing on them..

Comment

I happen to have a great reamer that loves the heavier 77/80 grain bullets.

Comment

• pmclaine
        pmclaine commented
        Editing a comment
        I would trust you with the lives of my children...............

How about I drop both kids off at your place next weekend.

Make it this weekend........I’ll be out of town.😂

Comment

Mark, that is not the way to make brownie points with the Mrs.

Comment

Barrel ordered

Bartlein

Remington Varmint/Sendero profile blank 27 inch total length

RH 1/7.7 twist, .224

Conventional rifling , 4 groove

Chrome Moly steel

4-5 month lead time and Ill be shocked if they don't come through much sooner. Surprised they don't have one on the shelf. Hoping they are at least slow enough to get Christmas bills paid.

Build list

1. Wood stock M40. Stock from Kyle Taylor

2. KT Precision M40 repro sling swivels. Rear swivel drilled/installed by builder. Front swivel install only.

3. 5 digit Remington 700 receiver. Clip slot/finish to Remington M40 blueprint.

4. True up blueprint receiver/bolt. .223 bolt provided from a different 6 digit rifle.

5. Gunsmith to cut barrel/fit to M40 spec length. Barrel will vary from spec with Atkinson M40A1 style wide band crown. Raven Rifles logo right side barrel cylinder section.

6. Remington recoil lug that came with 5 digit receiver. True/grind or replace if necessary. If gunsmith suggests going oversize/Badger and it will make a difference in accuracy I'll do it.

7. Bed action in accordance with PWS M40A1 specs. Vary from spec by adding pillars.

8. Bottom metal is standard Remington BDL from a 1968 R700. Trigger bow has slight dinger in it. If gunsmith can clean it up and get anodized close to its original dusty gray color great - lets do it! If not just install it.

9. .223 mag box, filler, spring, follower provided by me

10. Last 4 of SN struck on barrel, lug, bolt root

11. Parkerize barreled receiver.

12. Hot blue bolt, Redfield 700 SA scope base and Redfield rings.

13. Owner will install either older vintage Redfield 3-9X glossy finish or will more likely use the M40 Redfield/Leupold commemorative scope another member is trying to order.

13 Sling will be OD canvas Garand/M14 model

Anything Im screwing up?
          Last edited by pmclaine; 12-06-2017, 05:32 PM.
          "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

• J!m
            J!m commented
            Editing a comment
            You have it handled.

My dad was an NRA instructor (when that meant something) and I handled my B.B. guns with the same care as a .50BMG (which I e never actually handled...)

Dealing with pistol recoil is a while other ball of wax. I started on the Ruger super single six which could do .22 Mag. Once I was Dirty Harry with the mag cartridge I was on to the .38, then .357. By that time I was shopping for “my” gun which was a beautiful Beretta 92FS. Sadly it couldn’t hit the barn side of a broad and was swapped for a Sig 226 that is,well, deadly accurate. Night and day against the Beretta.

• SemperFi
            SemperFi commented
            Editing a comment
            "the barn side of a broad"

LMAO!

• J!m
            J!m commented
            Editing a comment
            They raise ‘em big where I grew up, er, grew older.

Question for the collective...

Finish on my barreled receiver will be parkerizing.

Bolts were hot blued I believe.

Pretty Sure base and rings were mounted as they came from Redfield in blue but often in rebuild they were parked.

Any thoughts on that?

Im guessing the blue job on the bolt/base and rings was a satin blue not polished.

Comment

I guess you have to decide between “new issue” or “been there; done that”. If new, I would not expect the Corps to change an existing blue finish to another blue finish.

So bolt, trigger, bottom metal and scope mount all original (gloss) bluing. Barreled receiver parkerized since they change the barrel which comes in raw. All corners and edges crisp and sharp.

For the latter condition, I’d “smooth” a lot of sharp edges that would have been worn and parkerize everything that’s not wood.

Im also interested in other opinions on this.

Comment

The bottom metal is not gloss.

This is the 1968 bottom metal I am going to use.

Name:	P4226811.JPG
Size:	3.04 MB
ID:	32124

Name:	P4226808.JPG
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	32125

Its a nice smokey gray anodize almost a match for park. This metal came off a commercial 22-250 varmint.

Comment

Probably need new (longer bottom bolts) for Kyle's stock. Ebay has a guy that sells the long slotted Remington bolts.

Comment

Have you ever looked at bughole barrels? They have a 7.7 bartlein in the contour you want but in 5r. They have a 7 twist in 4 groove

http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=...product_id=527

will cut your wait down significantly.

Comment

• pmclaine
                  pmclaine commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That would have been a good option.

5R/4 groove wasn't really a concern so their 7.7 would have worked as long as its CM to take the park finish. I think all those barrels are SS.

No big deal regards wait. Gives me time to spend money at my cadence.
              Working...
              X