CMP Auction starting 3/12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMP Auction starting 3/12

Looks like a unissued in bag 7 diget serial number M40 starts Monday, Illuminator scope.

Originally posted by HarryB View Post
    Looks like a unissued in bag 7 diget serial number M40 starts Monday, Illuminator scope.
    I was just searching the auction site, and I'm not seeing it. What search criteria did you enter? Thanks!

Comment

Search by auction listing number. A slow process. I look thru the current offerings, select a higher auction number, start searching individual numbers, like 4360, then 4361, etc till the particular auction is found. May need to search lower numbers than 4360 also. Searching by description will not work for auctions not started yet.

Comment

http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail....gton-Model-700
        jack1911

Comment

How is this even possible?

Comment

Awhile back they had one listed with an Illuminator scope? Are the chances better or worse that it is either the same item or they have several NIB M40's? I am nearly always full of crap but will bet it is the same rifle? Who wants a piece of my 5 bucks it is the same one?? lol I tain't been feeling great so don't have the energy to go back through past auctions to find SN etc. Easier to find $5!

Comment

6257208, it's the same one that came up for sale in 2015. My guess is that the highest bidder came down with a case of buyer's remorse after dropping $32,000 on a $10,000 gun. 6257xxx guns aren't rare, CMP sold 5 of them last year and there's more to come (including more new in wrap guns).

Comment

That's at least two with Redfield Illuminator scopes so far. What''s up with that? Who and when?

Comment

• USMCSGT0331
                  USMCSGT0331 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, still 1 Illuminator scope at the CMP, this is the same gun that they originally auctioned off a few years back.

I guess time flies. I thought that was a few months ago...

Comment

I remember all the fuss about that aunction a few years ago.

We were all wondering if the buyer would open the bag. Still in the bag, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by MescaBug View Post
                  I remember all the fuss about that aunction a few years ago.

We were all wondering if the buyer would open the bag. Still in the bag, lol!
                  Not that I have the money to play on this game but I think I’d rather buy one with a few bumps and bruises so I could shoot it. Not sure what I’d do with one still in the wrap.

Comment

• Skunk
                    Skunk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree. I wouldn't be interested in a 6257xxx gun in the first place; they're not USMC rifles. And, if I was to go after a real M40, I'd definitely want it to have some history.

Looks like its so ugly that is is actually a 2 bagger!
                  jack1911

Comment

A rifle one serial number off from the CMP auction is shown on page 261, The One-Round War, Peter Senich:

"Remington Model 700 sniper rifle awarded to Marine marksman John W. Johnson for winning the National Trophy Individual Match at Camp Perry, Ohio, in 1981. The presentation rifle (serial no. 6257207) bears all the characteristics of a USMC sniping rilfe dating from 1969. At least three other Remington M700/M40 rifles were awarded under similar circumstances - in 1979, 1980 and 1981."
                    The rifle pictured in Senich's book had a black Redfield 2nd generation 3-9X black scope on it, and the scope and base numbered to the rifle (via pencil etching the last 4 digits of the serial #). No idea why this CMP rifle has that Illuminator scope, but perhaps it was an extra presentation rifle, and thus it didn't matter too much that is was not an "issued scope." On page 262 Senich also noted the following:

"As a matter of interest, the other M700 sniper rifle presented in 1981 (serial no. 6257276) was also awarded to a member of the USMC rifle team."
                    ...my theory is that these 1969 serial numbers could have been either replacement receivers or replacement M40 rifles for the various original 1966 era 6-digit M40s that had been lost, damaged or otherwise "coded out" of the system during the Vietnam War. Some of the 6M rifles went to the Air Force, Navy and apparently the USMC too. That's just my personal theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Random Guy View Post
                      .... and apparently the USMC too.
                      I admit I'm not up to speed on the seven digits, so I'm curious why you say this. All I heard was Air Force.
                      You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

Well, if the USMC gave away as two trophy rifles in 1981, M700/M40s with serial numbers 6257207 and 6257276, to the top USMC match shooters that year at Camp Perry, as Peter Senich noted in his book, then it would seem that they were de facto USMC inventory rifles at that time...not an Air Force rifle. At least that is my interpretation of Senich's research. (He doesn't state what the serial #s were for the trophy rifles in 1979 and 1980.)

Folks may already be aware, but the Air Force would sometimes offer an "Air Force Premium Grade" match-prepped M1s rifle to its top shooters, and the Secretary of the Navy would often give their top shooter(s) a "MK 2/Mod 1 Grade B match" rifle to their top shooters, or if the shooter was really lucky, one of the rare "Grade A" Match M1s. Not sure about the US Army in that era, but I have read that some M700s were given as trophy rifles.

Comment

• SemperFi
                          SemperFi commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Maybe. The National Matches were run by the DCM, the NRA, and National Guard, so I'm not sure if these were separately awarded by the Marine Corps, or if it was just coincidental that the recipients were Marines- at least the two that are mentioned.
                          Last edited by SemperFi; 03-13-2018, 08:14 PM.

• steveu
                          steveu commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not to get off the track here, but I had a Grade "A" M-1 Trophy Rifle. I traded it to Jim Adell for a Remington 720 that he got from another retired Navy shooter. Long story short, I was told by an armorer from Crane that the only difference between a "A" & "B" grade M-1 was the match rear sight and paperwork!

FWIW,
                          Steve
                      Working...
                      X