M40 Bolt Lock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M40 Bolt Lock

Did the original M40's (Vietnam Era) have the bolt handles slotted/cut for the bolt lock feature? I am building an M40 clone of sorts on a new action and I do like the bolt lock. If what I've seen so far is that the bolt arm was slotted for it correct?

Are you talking when the safety is engaged the bolt locks?

6 digit receivers have that feature so Im assuming VN M40s had it. Ive seen nothing to show the safeties were modified to eliminate it.

I have no idea when the design was changed to eliminate it.

Be aware the design cange also incorporated receiver changes. An early bolt lock safety will not work on a non bolt lock receiver. At least when I tried it it wouldnt without a relief cut in the receiver.
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Originally posted by pmclaine View Post
      Are you talking when the safety is engaged the bolt locks?

6 digit receivers have that feature so Im assuming VN M40s had it. Ive seen nothing to show the safeties were modified to eliminate it.

I have no idea when the design was changed to eliminate it.

Be aware the design cange also incorporated receiver changes. An early bolt lock safety will not work on a non bolt lock receiver. At least when I tried it it wouldnt without a relief cut in the receiver.
      That is my understanding. I'm considering having the relief cut done to incorporate the locking feature. Thanks for the intel!

Comment

That is the way mine works. I did not see "relief cut" on the bolt. If you need a pic of the bolt, let me know.

Cheers,
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by steveu View Post
          That is the way mine works. I did not see "relief cut" on the bolt. If you need a pic of the bolt, let me know.

Cheers,
          Steve
          That would be great to see a picture. Yours does have the bolt locking feature correct?

Comment

Yes, the bolt is locked when the safety is engaged. You can find pictures here, https://www.m40rifle.com/album/3722-my-m40

Comment

The relief cut I speak of needs to be in the receiver.

On later receivers there is no "relief" for the "lever" on the safety to pivot up between the receiver rails and engage the bolt.

I tried to fit an early tombstone trigger into my G prefix M40 and the lever had no room to slide in between the rail and the bolt.

When I looked at a 6 digit receiver I had taken the trigger from I saw that the early receiver had clearance or "relief" for the bolt stop lever.

Im assuming you want that feature on a later model receiver not one that originally had that bolt lock function.

"...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Correct. I'm sure TBA can do it while he does the clip guide cut and markings.

Comment

Working...
                X