It Begins.......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Begins.......

Mailed off a 5 digit receiver and parts to Raven for a .223 M40 build.

Of course it wont be spec in .223 but it will be a pretty rifle.

Ill deviate further from spec with a pillar bed job, Bartlein 1/7 Rem Varmint and rather than flat face the crown Ill dish it like an early A1/Win M70 with a wide band and vertical cut to the muzzle face.

Was kind of considering a zinc parkerizing hoping the light finish would patina green and contrast nicely with a blue bolt but Im now considering as Ill never store it in cosmoline to turn it green I should probably go manganese and let the edges highlight and wear with use giving it a great patina. Either way Ill limit myself to what Mark is readily able to use as a park media.

Ill finish the Dep Taylor stock in raw Linseed only. Im a fan of tung oil but I did my kids guns in an artists pure linseed oil I picked up and I note in the last few months their guns have turned a beautiful red shade.

Planning on using a Leupold "green" M40 scope for the simplicity of zeroing once and holding mil dots.

I dont expect my build to start any time soon but if I get pictures from Mark of the build in progress Ill update here.
    Last edited by pmclaine; 07-14-2018, 07:10 AM.
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

That's great! I hope to be starting my .260 Rem rifle shortly. I have to get a barrel from PacNor ordered.

Comment

Sounds like a build that will be a good looking, sweet shooting fun gun when you get it back from Raven.

Comment

My M40A1ish from Mark is an absolute lazer.

It makes me almost as good a shooter as you guys are......in the case of that rifle,,,, it is the bow.

The only .223 I have is my AR.

I guess ARs are fun but they have no soul. I only infrequently shoot them.

This rifle will give me a means to shoot up all the .223 I have loaded up.
        "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

• steveu
          steveu commented
          Editing a comment
          If you put some nice wood on the ar it might get some soul!

• pmclaine
          pmclaine commented
          Editing a comment
          That would be a big step in the right direction.......

What chamber are you going with?

Comment

I mentioned a Wylde to Mark but not really being knowledgeable Ill trust his judgement in such things.

Primarily I load 77 SMK/Nos CC, dont ever shoot much surplus or any other than reloads.

Open to the collective wisdom of the board.

Comment

• pmclaine
            pmclaine commented
            Editing a comment
            I dont know.

Im kind of leery of things being "too" customized.

I may want to lob some surplus 55 grainers at some point, rather have a versatile accurate gun rather than a one trick pony.

Mark will know what is best.

• Defender3
            Defender3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Great choice in the 1/7, it will work for that 55gr as well as a longer and heavier 77gr.

• pmclaine
            pmclaine commented
            Editing a comment
            I like the 1/7 in my AR it spirals 77s nicely.

Its been awhile since I thought of this gun Ill have to check the paper work to see if I went 1/7. I was thinking of 1/7.7 or something like that just under an 8 having read some crap about it being an ideal medium.

Whatever its a Bartlein built by Mark it will shoot better than I can hold.
        Working...
        X