Getting a M40 to 1,000 Yards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a M40 to 1,000 Yards

I have a M40 coming and fully intend to shoot it at Quantico out to 1,000 on R4. Am I correct that in order to get a M40 out to 1,000 I will need to shim the rear mount? If so, has anyone fabricated shims or found which, for example, feeler gauge may be sufficient? TIA.

ETA - I assume none of the 40x bases had any built in MOA?
    Last edited by Defender3; 11-06-2018, 12:58 PM.

Exactly which scope are you planning to use?
    Which mount?
    Which Rings?

There are options with all 3 that will allow you to get to 1000 without shimming anything, and if you are not planning a 100% spec rifle, these options will be more accurate and fun to shoot.

Regards,
    DT

Comment

• Defender3
      Defender3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Very sorry, should have mentioned that it's a spec rifle with a repro greenie, period Redfield base and low mounts.

If you use a Leupold repro greenie with mil dot you could zero holding the top of the mil scale than hold on your reticle.

Or zero at 300/500 and use your mil scale.

You will have options, just apply the right math and hold.

Figure how many mils you gain if you use a top of frame hold etc.

I think my A1 hits 1000 at 10 or 11 mils. A Leupold has 10 mils in the reticle.
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

If I ever get to make that match, I was going to use the 600yd zero and hold over the target at 1000. I figured that I would need to hold about 13 feet over the target to hit the middle.

Comment

• Defender3
        Defender3 commented
        Editing a comment
        We're both kind of tracking. I have a 1903A4 with a M73B1 that I'm going to replace with a cheap Hi-Lux M82, zero for 300 and I know it will shoot 300/600 all day long. There's plenty of elevation in the Hi-Lux so I can get DOPE out to 1000. Same with a USMC Sniper I bought that's wearing a 8x Unertl. It too will get a Hi-Lux repro and I'll rinse and repeat the A4 routine.

The M40 is different in that it's wearing a nice period scope that's been refinished. I could pick up one the limited production (new) Leupolds and see what I can get for elevation, or maybe the darn Hi-Lux repos have sufficient elevation, but if not, I'm thinking I'll sacrifice 100y zero by using a shim to give me the cant I need so I don't need a holdover.

P.S. I am so fortunate to be able to shoot every weekend at Quantico. We also have an IWLA 100y range about 7 miles from my house. I can take the rifles to IWLA and get them zeroed, then head to R4 for fine tuning and practice.

P.P.S. - Anyone in the area of Quantico that wants to come out on a weekend a shoot at R4, hit me up and we'll work the details to get you on the range.

• Defender3
        Defender3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Phil,

I wouldn't mind doing a hold for steel, but if I'm going to shoot the match, I'll get all anal to try and seriously compete. That's why I stick to shooting, I'd drive myself crazy, and maybe poor, if I ever took up golf.

• steveu
        steveu commented
        Editing a comment
        I do have a Redfield USMC edition with mildots I could put on the rifle. But I would want to shoot the original 'greenie' if I ever get back to R4. You could see if Cheryl Ackerman at Optical Services Company would put mildots in your scope. I was going to go that route before I got the redfield.
    Working...
    X