M40 Tribute Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M40 Tribute Project

After 2 years of collecting parts, finishing the stock, changing calibers, getting another receiver and modifying it to accept a longer magazine box, there is now light at the end of the tunnel! All that is left is getting a Pac-Nor barrel on it in 6.5 Remington Magnum.

Cool project!
    What did you finish your stock with? I'm loving that color/sheen
    DW

Comment

• steveu
      steveu commented
      Editing a comment
      That is 15 coats of raw linseed oil. I "oil sanded" 3 of the coats with 400 grit and will do a final sand with 800 grit. After each coat of oil I would let the stock bake in the sun.

Very nice.

Any issue with the ocular that close to the rear ring?

At 10 inch pounds my zoom felt bound up.

Had to pull the scope rearward and leave a gap between the rear ring and the scope zoom ring.

Lve those Leupold scopes but wish the erector was 3/4 inch or so forward so the back of the scope would be at about the FP shroud.
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

• SemperFi
      SemperFi commented
      Editing a comment
      You did a really nice job on that stock.

• pmclaine
      pmclaine commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

Great job on the rifle.

Ive got a KT stock off with Raven looking forward to getting another wood stock to care for.

• steveu
      steveu commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect as in standing or sitting (for hunting). I have not put a sling on it yet to see how prone is going to work out.

Nice work, esp. on the stock. Did that stock start out as one of the "police" stocks?
    jack1911

Comment

• steveu
      steveu commented
      Editing a comment
      No, the stock is one of Kyle Taylors stocks that he copied from a Remington Mawhinney rifle I believe. At first he sold what I would call a 99% stocks. Now I think he sells only the finished stocks. He is a member of this forum and his website is here:https://taylorprecisioneng.com/t/m40-stocks

Got some brass formed today. On the left is 7mm RM after it has been thru 2 forming dies. The one on the right has been trimmed and sized to 6.5 RM. Once I get the barrel on I will be able to fire-form the brass and inside neck ream it. Then all I have to do is start working on load development.

Comment

Working...
    X