No announcement yet.

M40 Tribute Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally drew a tag in Wyoming for deer. Was looking for a mule deer but they moved on so I got this whitetail. He was 185 yards away, the 143 Norma bondstrike at 2830fps did a great job. Recovered the bullet and weighed 94.6 grains. Fwiw, Hornady app is spot on the money. Went to range to check zeros due to the addition 5000’ of elevation I was at. At 500 yards, with 16 mph full value wind I held 2 mil up and 1 mil left. First shot hit 4” steel!

Comment

no pics of weapon used for the shot??

eta: i mean with the rifle

Good lookin buck. Hot little round.

DT

Comment

• steveu
        steveu commented
        Editing a comment
        That cartridge is pretty quick for a 24" barrel. I did get up to 3000ish, but started to have a bit of a sticky bolt when opening with that bullet. The 2830 load shot the best group with the Norma 143.

Click image for larger version

Name:	22B59ACE-D7B3-42A3-9068-B5147A69FB96.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	4.24 MB
ID:	52786 I left the rifle at the house because we got on a 4 wheeler to retrieve the deer. Here is a picture of the rifle and European mount.

Comment

Great looking stick , I have been toying with the idea of a 6.5 awhile
        Thx πŸ™„

Comment

• steveu
          steveu commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s a great cartridge I think. I was going to build one for long range target shooting in the early 90’s. I ended up building a 6.5x284 Winchester instead on a single shot action. The brass is easy to make if you have the dies and there is lots of parent brass available.
      Working...
      X