Question on Identifying a M40

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Identifying a M40

Hello Everyone I would like to say thanks in advance for the amount of info I have already been able to gather from your website, and thanks for any additional info that is given.

Recently a friend of mine inherited a rifle, at sight it looked as if was just a run of the mill Rem 700 chambered in .308, upon further cleaning of the house a box was located that had Remington Model 40 on it with a matching serial number, after reviewing your site for hours I was able find out more about it.

it has "CBM8541" stamped on it as well, indicating it could be a "Chuck Mawhinney" edition, but it is missing the signature and series number.

I am very curious to find as much info as possible about it as I have a chance to purchase it but have no idea of what its actual value is, any help is greatly appreciated and Thank you very much

Here are a few pics

Comment

Comment

• deltawiskey
        deltawiskey commented
        Editing a comment
        They are really nice rifles...wish I would have bought one of the over-runs when they were available!!
        DW

Yes looks like you have a MaWhinney run rifle.

Perhaps that owner did what I did with mine - remove the signature bottom metal and installed plain metal.

Badger Ord sold about twenty rifles that Remington built as "over runs" for the CBM series possible yours is one of those.

"...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

I haven' purchased the rifle yet, what would you estimate the value to be at? I've searched alot and can't find one for sale to give me some kind of ballpark figure

Comment

The original 103 CBM went for big money $3 to $5K if I remember right but they also came with some personal CBM effects that you don't seem to have.

I bought my over run from Badger for $2K and was happy to get instant M40. All I had to buy was a Badger repro mount/rings and an appropriate scope.

What is its value has to be determined by you.

You will want to replace the scope system for either Redfield parts or the Badger repro.

The rifle is desireable but its not as "correct" as if you gathered parts, good shooter with an interesting connection.

Can you find any more of the gear that would be associated with the rifle - target, certificate, etc?

If not check with Badger Ord and see if it was one of the over runs they sold. If it is price would be plus or minus $2000.
          "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Havent located any adittional parts pieces, or literature for it, my friend doesnt believe it ever had a scope, and cant see his dad changing the bottom plate out, do you think this rifle got the same special treatment that the numbered units recieved.

I have a standing offer of 1,000 to him for it, he's asking alot more for it.

I wouldn't be buying it to hang on the wall of leave in the safe, it would get used for hunting, would I be disowned for dragging an M40 through the brush chasing game?

Comment

$1000 would be a good deal. I think Id pay more.

When I had the desire I paid $2K.

Its one of my favorite rifles to shoot.

Comment

Nothing special without sig/SN. The ones without serial numbers were just overruns from the batch. Several of them came without sigs/#'s.. They sold for $2k. It could be argued the ones with sigs are worth more but its your $$. If you want to pay more is up to you but they are accurate rifles. Prof bedded by GA I believe and worked over at Rem custom shop.

Hunt with it. Whats the point of having a rifle if you cant use it. Esp one with no real providence. I let my nephews hunt with mine. Light and accurate.

Regards,
                DT

Comment

It does have a really nice feel to it, and I'm sure it is a great shooter, I am in the market for a nice bolt gun to hunt with, I'm retiring my 740 woodsmaster and want to replace it with a Rem 700 of some sort, $1,000 is all I really want to spend, he's asking $2,500 for the M40

I've seen some really nice used Rem 700's with aluminum chassis and great optics in the $1,300 range and I'm sure I will find one that suites my needs in my price range

Does the U.S stamp above the serial designate that it's a M40?

I really do appreciate everyone taking the time to answer my questions

Comment

Its a replica of an M40.

Its a G code serial number so its not as "replica" as some that member have built here using period 6 digit receivers but it will give you the feel for the real thing.

These are "incorrect" in that they have been bedded and they used current production markings, CBM designations etc.

Still they are a niche for the M40 collector and there are only some 125 or so that were probably ever made.

If all you are looking for is a similar style rifle Id suggest buying a Dicks special parkerized .308 varmint for cheap money, buy a beautiful Kyle Taylor stock for probably the same amount you will pay on the Dicks special Rem varmint, bed the stock and mount your scope of choice or get a Redfield mount and scope - Boom! you will be into an M40esque rifle at your price point.

Comment

Andy,

It is one of the Mawhinney overruns I sold.

Comment

After all the helpful information I've recieved from everyone who has chimed in, my friend has decided to keep it, which I think is the right decision.

2 more questions than I will quit buggin everyone

Did this rifle recieve the same treatment for GA Precisions as the others did?

What was the MSRP for it?

Comment

Same as the Mawhinney without some of the ephemera.

I think MaWhinneys went for $5K.

Marty hooked us up for $2K.

If I had a third kid I was going to name him Marty in gratitude. Havent got laid since I bought the rifle though.

Comment

Andy,

Here is an M40esque rifle that may be in your price range. Doesnt really follow any particular Marine build but its got the vibe....

https://forum.snipershide.com/thread.../#post-7362215

Comment

Working...
                            X