Views:	56
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	45387

Click image for larger version

Name:	m40.3085.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	45388
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

The weather here in North Florida is no picnic either.

We've shot matches in 98 degrees/ 80% humidity weather then a quick rain storm and back to a free steambath again with no breeze. You're soaked with sweat by 10 am, glasses fogged up, sweat stinging your eyes. You can't get comfortable, even in the shade.

Oh yeah, the 747 sized mosquitoes and deer flies, the ones you can't feel when they land and ONLY when they bite do you realize it and it feels like a cigarette was put out on your back or neck.

We rarely get snow here but when we do it's melted just as fast as it hits the ground. It does hit the 20s and teens now and again.

If you want a Vietnam type weather sniping experience sans someone shooting back at you complete with stinging insects and snakes, come down here in July or August , sometimes it rains so hard you can hardly see your target at 100 yards.

The snow won't seem so bad.

Hey, look at the positive aspects of it, you have a very nice, VERY accurate rifle and it groups nicely.

So it snows a bit. That just gives you some down time for reloading and gear prep for when the weather turns nice again !

Joker

Comment

I once worked with a kid.

It was a construction type project.

He was the environmental engineer. I was the sitework contractor that he was supposed to monitor.

We had to provide him with a trailer.

One day in August his trailer power had to be disconnected. It was a hot day. He bitched about how hot it was in his trailer. I told him "Neeraj, dont complain about the heat. You will learn."

In January Neeraj had to be on site with me at 0400 to watch the loading of dirt into trucks and ensure we were sending it to the right facilities.

It was a very cold Northeast January. The site was on a river to one side and the ocean but a mile or two away.

Neeraj is of Indian heritage. Neeraj doesnt know what an extra cell of fat insulation is.

As Neeraj and I stood beside each other in the dark predawn watching trucks get loaded I looked at Neeraj with his fully winter clothed body shrinking before my eyes. He was collapsing into himself trying to condense his mass in order to create some sort of atomic fusion process so as to warm himself.

At that point I asked Neeraj if he remembered that day in August when his trailer was without AC.

and I asked "Do you understand now?" and he understood.

"Heat is uncomfortable. Cold hurts."

Its true.
      "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
      X