• Show
Clear All

• M40 clone/replica or is it really a Police rifle

Click image for larger version

Name:	15753214696681806467240.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	45416

I initially called my Remington 700 .223 SPS in a walnut police stock with the Redfield scope mount, rings etc.etc. an M40 clone, which what I was trying to recreate.
    After reading this article it would seem it is more of a Police rifle than an M40 due to the fact the USMC ONLY issued .308 rifles for use and the Police offered both .223 and ,308..
    So excuse me for calling it something that it is really not. All or at least most of this info on these rifles is relatively new to me and I'm still in a learning curve so to speak.

On that note, while the "Real" replica M40 I have put together is almost where I want it to be I realized this is as bad or worse than my M14 addiction of years past.

Next stop on the M40 platform railway will hopefully be an M40A1. I now realize I have a serious issue with these rifles, insatiable is the term I guess.

The same thing happened to me my friend... just so you know, it only gets worse from here on out : )
    DW

Comment

If I recall correctly Remington did make 700's in 308 with a walnut stock (similar to M40 stock) for a police dept, Maryland comes to mind around that timeframe (1987) but I believe it was a one off contract. I missed an opportunity about a decade ago to buy a old police 700 in 223 with a black redfield accurange that they had used as a sniper rifle. The rifle for all purposes was a 700 varmint barreled action in a M40 stock. The original 700 pss was a 24 inch barreled rifle which for was basically a m700 sniper rifle from the sixties. On occasion I still look for one, makes a decent clone with the right stock.

Comment

I like mine and it's still an "M40" clone in my book. Too much BS to explain to anyone who asks.

Comment

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
        X