Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Redfield!!!

(I wish)

Welp, i've pretty much come to realize I have a better chance of winning the lotto than getting my hands on an original Redfield... So, I've gathered some Cerakote and started mixing. Since I've never seen a Greene in person just in pics I'm shooting in the dark on the color. Please give me your input on this color?

Thanks,
    Attached Files

Not bad... maybe get a different hue for the main tube and leave both ends the same...kind of like they weathered.

Good attempt tho.

DT

Comment

How did you prep the scope prior to the coating ?

Comment

Hello nice work on the scope .geoff3

Comment

It doesnt have that translucent look to it but it will be sufficient from a few yards so that someone familiar with an M40 will say "Well Ill be damned an M40"
          "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Might try the two tone on the next one I'm doing. The prep work was pretty simple I removed the turrets both windage and elevation and the piece that's marked Redfield then just sprayed it. It does look good from 10 feet away. Kinda like an Earl Scheib job.

Comment

This builder did a fantastic job on painting his Redfield to give it that translucent anodized look....

https://forum.snipershide.com/thread...build.6917480/

Colors a little bright but looks good.
              "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

• gbernardski
                gbernardski commented
                Editing a comment
                That looks really nice

• pmclaine
                pmclaine commented
                Editing a comment
                He did a great job for sure.

Going a different direction. Thought I'd share.
              She's apart, ready for blasting (need an excuse to use my cabinet anyway).
              Think I'll anodize it and see what happens. Have time on my hands that i'm working from home again
              Looks like i'll be the youtube master searcher on "anodizing"..
              Attached Files

Comment

• pmclaine
                pmclaine commented
                Editing a comment
                Got a gloss black sitting in my safe.

Dibs on your services when you figure it out and can green mine up.

Id love to have a mil dot in an original with good green anodizing.

Well pmclaine, we will see. I purchased a broken scope a couple years ago. I opened it up and forced a bad situation and spun off the front ocular housing from the main tube. Probably should have heated it up or left that part alone. These scopes are very thin walled, paper thin almost (the main tube is for sure). Surprised they could hold up as well as they do. From learning from that I took my time and opened this one up slowly with no issues so far. I also put it right back together and took it apart again. Seemed to work just fine. This one doesn't have the Accutrac plastic piece, I'm not sure where that is and how its in the scope. I have one scope with it in it but it's to nice to tinker with so i'm going to find a cheap scope and go through it and see how it works. I don't know what I don't know. These scopes are very mechanical very easy to pull apart so far. Took me a spanner wrench and a small flat head screw driver. Also, if anyone thinks these are nitrogen filled I'd say it's almost impossible for that to be the case Both I've torn apart have had all kinds of crap inside of them. Small dirt and grime all over the front half of the scope I'd say from the turrets.

Comment

No nitrogen. Hmmmmmmm. Thats interesting considering when they were used in the RVN, a place of very high humidity and constant rain.

In the NRAs article on USMC sniper rifles it states about the Redfield 3x-9x :
                "The major problem they had with it was that if you got careless, it would fog up on you. Anytime we came back off of a patrol, the scopes would be put in a hot box to dry them out.”

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ds-on-history/

I think they may have been assembled in an environment where the humidity was close to or at zero, with new seals so why couldn't it work ?
                Seals go bad, you then have fogging issues !

Joker

Comment

Update:
                  Forgot I had a couple other broken Redfields I've purchased over the years. I found them in one of my tubs. Both I found had broken reticles, one happened to have the Accurange. I pulled it apart and found it. It's in front of the ocular housing (don't know the real name..) Anyway, looks like it would be doable to put it in another scope pretty easily. Even if it came from a widefield field as this one is from. Might need just a little delicate cutting. But if it came from another 3-9 round scope that would be easy.

Found a place locally that will anodize the parts for a decent price. Going to grab a couple more scopes online and try and do 5-6 at one time. Then I'm going to try and age the anodizing. We will see..
                  Attached Files

Comment

Good luck ! If it works out well for you and depending on how my paint project turns out I may sign up to be one of your first customers if you decide to start up a business doing this type of work.

Comment

I’d be interested in having one done when and if you decide to do the green color also. Good Luck

Comment

I don't think i'll be taking apart someone else scope any time soon. I'd sure hate to mess up a reticle or crack glass to where it's a boat anchor. I might sell a few of mine after I get them back together. Safe and sound If anyone has a broken first gen scope let me know? I'd buy it from you for parts. I noticed on one of my main tubes the top hole is somehow expanded and the elevation "turret" just spins so I need one to replace it.

Comment

Is it necessary to disassemble them?
                          If it’s the Nitrogen issue Ironsighter says all scopes leaks it out over time. I called and discussed it with them. Not sure they put it back in after a complete refurb job but not 100% on that either.
                          Does you’re process involve heat? If so I could see disassembly due to melting rubber or plastic seals etc.
                          I would be fine with just the externals green.

Comment

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
                          X