Views:	113
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	47124

Click image for larger version

Name:	322202.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	47125

Shooting was only so, so. At 250 rounds might be time to clean.

Click image for larger version

Name:	322203.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	47126
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Thats some fine wood you have!
    DW

Comment

I really like that stock, has a very deep hue of red to it, very nice

Comment

Originally posted by anderson3754 View Post
        I really like that stock, has a very deep hue of red to it, very nice
        The red is exactly what I wanted.

Didnt think it would pop to red in such a short time, expected it would take longer. I was considering adding some logwood stain to make it artificially red but this is going great.

I have a tiger striped walnut at a builder now that will be getting this oil treatment when complete.

Would really benefit it to spend a day leaning up against a tree getting some warm sunshine allowing the UV rays and fresh air work on that oil.
        "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Did you use aniline dye with the Tung oil or Linseed oil if that was used. I'm doing a M40 stock now with that red hue and it is turning out awesome, very similar to the color of your stock

Comment

Nothing but cold pressed (pure) linseed oil.

Its turning red on its own.

The 40 I have finished with Tung oil (pure) stayed a nice tobacco brown.

I do prefer the red look.

Comment

Originally posted by pmclaine View Post
              Nothing but cold pressed (pure) linseed oil.

Its turning red on its own.

The 40 I have finished with Tung oil (pure) stayed a nice tobacco brown.

I do prefer the red look.
              I also like the reddish hue I spent countless hours with a witches brew to get the reddish hue with pure Tung Oil. Finished up my M40 stock and I am on the wind down with a friends M14 stock booth have that reddish hue that really makes the stock standout from others. I have had several compliments from guys I shoot with how period correct they look,1940's,50's,60's vintage.

Comment

Tung oil iss much more "stable"

It builds a thicker coat which becomes shine, is more weather resistant, stays the initial color it creates.

I have a Garand and a couple 03s that are done in tung.

My M1A is with linseed and its a GI red.

Comment

I like that red look. That rifle is a beauty !

Comment

If you have to touch up a scratch or a ding the BOL will initially look slightly lighter but will eventually redden up and become virtually undetectable.
                    I love the smell of BOL in the morning! (Apocalypse Now) lol

Comment

Got mine stock today, now its up to my gunsmith

Comment

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
                      X