.223 barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .223 barrel

`So I already have a .308 M40 clone based off a Remington 700 5R / Taylor stock and have another Taylor stock / M40 base / Redfeild-Leupold scope / Remington 700 .223 bolt and action and would like to know if any of you have a recommendation for a barrel maker and one who knows the difference between a Vietnam M40 and a later M40a1/M24 barrel.

Douglas Barrels knows the contours

Comment

Originally posted by fe1 View Post
      Douglas Barrels knows the contours
      I know they did the original M40 but will they do .223

Comment

I would think so but I’d call and verify.

Comment

Bartlein sells a Remington Varmint contour, what I used on my .223.

havent set them side by side but Bart barrel strikes me as slightly trimmer than my MaWhinney tribute .308 M40.

looks good though, shoots good.
          "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

I think that unless you have a print of the contour, most barrel makers can get close but not exact. My pac- nor is close enough for me, but it is a little “ fatter” than original. As far as good shooting barrels go, Douglas, Bartlien and PAC-nor have all shot good for me on the past.
            FWIW,
            Steve

p.s. If you live in DFW I will be at work Saturday and you can lol at an original and the PAC-Nor together.

Comment

Originally posted by USMCChet9296 View Post

I know they did the original M40 but will they do .223
              I have no doubt they can spin up a .223 in the correct profile, and typically very quickly. Stan Taylor at Douglas is great to deal with. He’s active on accurateshooter.com and very responsive to questions over there. Last barrel I ordered from him was for a USMC M70 clone. It arrived at my doorstep within a week of placing the order.

Comment

What I have so far just got the action and bolt today

IMG_4243 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

IMG_4244 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

IMG_4246 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

I will call Stan tomorrow and get a price

Comment

• deltawiskey
                  deltawiskey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow! Nice!! I sure wish this was my pile of parts... please keep us posted on your project.
                  DW

Originally posted by steveu View Post
                I think that unless you have a print of the contour, most barrel makers can get close but not exact. My pac- nor is close enough for me, but it is a little “ fatter” than original. As far as good shooting barrels go, Douglas, Bartlien and PAC-nor have all shot good for me on the past.
                FWIW,
                Steve

p.s. If you live in DFW I will be at work Saturday and you can lol at an original and the PAC-Nor together.
                Yes I live in mesquite where do you work?

Comment

• steveu
                  steveu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  PM sent to you.

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
              X