M40 Stock arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M40 Stock arrived

I finally received the eBay guy M40 stock today after lovely week long usps delays. Anyway when looking at it it appears the fore end seems to be a little thick. Has anyone else had experience with this stock and does it need some thinning in this area to match original look? Basically what I’m looking at is the bottom of the stock. Does it need to taper more toward the barrel? Is there any other areas that need some additional profiling? I only have an 80s BDL to reference.

Appreciate and and all feedback!

Looks nice, I like it! I don’t have an original to look at but my advice would be find and authentic picture and shape it to match or just roll with it! I had one from accurate innovations that had the smaller forearm and spotter type pistol grip. Then got a Taylor precision that is thicker forearm and correct contour pistol grip area. Both looked really good. I’ve noticed in original pics some looked very thin in forearm area and others thicker but that’s all the info I have. Just my interpretation of the photos!

Comment

The Commerative SSA stocks are thicker than the original stocks. It’s kinda personal preference
      Roughewn has vast experience with these stocks and might chime in with some suggestions.
      Congrats

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Type1 2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	975.2 KB
ID:	49376 Click image for larger version

Name:	Type1 4.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	945.7 KB
ID:	49377 here's my stock. hope the pics help. Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyK View Post
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Type1 2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	975.2 KB
ID:	49376 Click image for larger version

Name:	Type1 4.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	945.7 KB
ID:	49377 here's my stock. hope the pics help. Andy
          That’s what I was needing to see! The fore end tapers up kind of like I was thinking. It almost mimics the BDL stocks?

Comment

I thinned the forend some to match the two originals I have. I left about a 1/16th in along the barrel chanel initially and contoured to the final profile during sanding.
            Fitting the 16601 bp was pretty easy. Five coats of BLO and matte black Duracoat finished it up. Very good stock

Comment

Originally posted by roughhewn View Post
              I thinned the forend some to match the two originals I have. I left about a 1/16th in along the barrel chanel initially and contoured to the final profile during sanding.
              Fitting the 16601 bp was pretty easy. Five coats of BLO and matte black Duracoat finished it up. Very good stock
              Do you happen to have a pic or 2 you could share? Just trying to get multiple looks for comparison. I’m planning on finishing with tung oil. I just refinished an older BDL stock with no checkering and really like the look.

Tonight I stumbled upon an old 6 digit 40x in 22-250 with Hart barrel that may make an excellent donor action.

Comment

Only the Prototypes were 40X repeater actions.
                From research the 40X actions were never issued but they are nice actions.

Comment

I have one police stock I would trade for eBay stock if someone wants one

Comment

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
                  X