Documented M40 Sniper rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documented M40 Sniper rifle

Interesting rifle sold by Rock Island a while ago (2018) as a documented m40 rifle listed in "Death from Afar" except it was not. lol
    Attached Files

Was not what, listed in Death From Afar?

Comment

Originally posted by Raven 6 View Post
      Was not what, listed in Death From Afar?
      it was not listed in Death From Afar as a m40 serial number. 221 prefix: "271 thru 275, 277, 279 thru 281" no 276 in that series

m40 rifles listed in that series 221271, 221272, 221273, 221274, 221 275, 221277, 221279, 221280, 221281
      Last edited by mjmd11; 04-03-2021, 07:08 AM.

Comment

rock island description "This is a genuine U.S.M.C. issue Remington Model 700 sniper rifle from the original 1966 contract that remains in "as issued" configuration."

was the known list of serials in Death from Afar amended ? are there more known rifles now?

It appears legit and probably is but the statement was not accurate. Unless there is other provenance, they were wrong to characterize it that way.

Comment

It wouldn't be the first time Rock Island did something similar. As for the rifle, neither, its serial number or the scopes are on Chandlers list, which we know to be incomplete. Other services were buying the m700 sniper rifle from Remington, perhaps one of them. Even the presentation rifles handed out in the eighties were not prior USMC M40's but rufles acquired by the Corp. Beautiful rifle anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by mjh30 View Post
            It wouldn't be the first time Rock Island did something similar. As for the rifle, neither, its serial number or the scopes are on Chandlers list, which we know to be incomplete. Other services were buying the m700 sniper rifle from Remington, perhaps one of them. Even the presentation rifles handed out in the eighties were not prior USMC M40's but rufles acquired by the Corp. Beautiful rifle anyways.
            I would love to own it too. I know for a fact there are many that are not listed and that there were service rifles in the seven digit 625's not just presentations and more than a few six digits that could be added when more records become available

Comment

It is a legit rifle, the DFA list is of known guns converted to M40A1's, if it escaped from Marine captivity w/o being converted as this one did it will not be on that list.

Comment

I had a friend-of-a-friend who told me he knew of someone, a retired Army officer, who he thought would be interested in a M40 clone. Long story short, I met this retired officer at a gun show a year later (2018) and struck-up a conversation about M40 clones and was told, rather authoritatively, that if he wanted a M40 rifle, he's just get an original out of a military surplus warehouse that was 'full of them".

So, giving some weight to that statement, I don't think they're quite as 'rare' (as a general military rifle 'model') as we suppose and they'll be bled out into the market at a rate that maximizes and maintains market value. Dumping a 'warehouse full of them' on the market would kill the goose laying those golden eggs.

That being said, I don't think anybody has actually had in their hands, and fully researched, copied, recorded, documented and published the actual and complete DOD contracts and authorized revisions/amendments, individual purchase orders, corresponding receipts, or followed-up on conversion records, or weapons storage records, for that matter, as this rifle reveals. So basically, what we do know is essentially what we are allowed to know. Last I recall, the DOD can't even guarantee that if they grant permission and allow an inspection of the documents, that the documents and files will be complete, or will even be found where they are supposed to be.

Comment

Originally posted by BoltTrash View Post
                  I had a friend-of-a-friend who told me he knew of someone, a retired Army officer, who he thought would be interested in a M40 clone. Long story short, I met this retired officer at a gun show a year later (2018) and struck-up a conversation about M40 clones and was told, rather authoritatively, that if he wanted a M40 rifle, he's just get an original out of a military surplus warehouse that was 'full of them".

So, giving some weight to that statement, I don't think they're quite as 'rare' (as a general military rifle 'model') as we suppose and they'll be bled out into the market at a rate that maximizes and maintains market value. Dumping a 'warehouse full of them' on the market would kill the goose laying those golden eggs.

That being said, I don't think anybody has actually had in their hands, and fully researched, copied, recorded, documented and published the actual and complete DOD contracts and authorized revisions/amendments, individual purchase orders, corresponding receipts, or followed-up on conversion records, or weapons storage records, for that matter, as this rifle reveals. So basically, what we do know is essentially what we are allowed to know. Last I recall, the DOD can't even guarantee that if they grant permission and allow an inspection of the documents, that the documents and files will be complete, or will even be found where they are supposed to be.
                  Perfectly stated Bolt Trash and factually accurate in my opinion. The last remaining task of my little project is to determine the distance between the top of the serials on a six digit to the bottom of the U.S. stamping. Unfortunately that would require an in hand inspection of a known rifle and the Remington Museum has been closed for a while now. I will share the details of the project when completed, here. Maybe some algebra would work using a photo to approximate the measurement. the width and height of six digit serials and the U.S. are knowns. So now all that is needed are some x's . LOL

If someone has that measurement please share it.
                  Last edited by mjmd11; 04-29-2021, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mjmd11 View Post

Perfectly stated Bolt Trash and factually accurate in my opinion. The last remaining task of my little project is to determine the distance between the top of the serials on a six digit to the bottom of the U.S. stamping. Unfortunately that would require an in hand inspection of a known rifle and the Remington Museum has been closed for a while now. I will share the details of the project when completed, here. Maybe some algebra would work using a photo to approximate the measurement. the width and height of six digit serials and the U.S. are knowns. So now all that is needed are some x's . LOL

If someone has that measurement please share it.
                    Take a look back in time:

https://www.m40rifle.com/forum/m40/4...lly-everything

U.S. Stamp:

Pg.22 Post #1,099 X MescaBug

Barrel 'NATO' Stamp:

Pg.24 #1,198 - #1,199

Pg.25 #1,209 - #1,210

As close as you can get without having one in-hand...

Comment

Originally posted by BoltTrash View Post

Take a look back in time:

https://www.m40rifle.com/forum/m40/4...lly-everything

U.S. Stamp:

Pg.22 Post #1,099 X MescaBug

Barrel 'NATO' Stamp:

Pg.24 #1,198 - #1,199

Pg.25 #1,209 - #1,210

As close as you can get without having one in-hand...

LOL. I went through this forum with a fine tooth comb but missed these posts. must have used faulty search engine phrases.. must be brain burn.. thanks so much

Comment

"when i load the https://www.m40rifle.com/forum/m40/4...lly-everything

i get invalid address?"

mjmd11,

If you have to, just go to:

M40 Forum - Pg.2 - BoltTrash - Topic: In the dark about virtually everything... - 2nd. post from bottom of the page - 05.24.2020

Using the actual height of a/ the serial number(s), you should be able to scale the photograph to obtain the measurement you're looking for.

Comment

Working...
                      X