• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range report

Not happy with how I performed today but here it is

Far left and far right shots on paper were zeroing scope

Comment

That's M852 ball?

i see great potential with match ammo if it shoots that stuff that good.
      "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

No it’s a 7.62x51 nato in federal cases that’s 149 grain, I found it for $20 dollars and grabbed 2 boxes last year, I have some 147 gr 7.62 from the 60’s , 70’s gonna try that too!

Comment

Originally posted by M440 View Post
          No it’s a 7.62x51 nato in federal cases that’s 149 grain, I found it for $20 dollars and grabbed 2 boxes last year, I have some 147 gr 7.62 from the 60’s , 70’s gonna try that too!
          Still....put some match 168 or 175 SMK through that and you will probably half the group size.

M852 was like three inches from center of match ammo group and wild in mine. Granted I only used a small sample size of 4-5 rounds, but it wasnt pretty.
          "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

M852 is loaded with 168SMK and always shot pretty good for me... Sure you're not thinking of M80 Ball?

Comment

• pmclaine
              pmclaine commented
              Editing a comment
              You sir are correct, as usual.

It’s not bad for ball. Sort by weight and you will minimize flyers.

Comment

Remember, that is a weapon of war, not a benchrest rifle. 1.5 moa or less is very good.

Comment

Thanks guys. in my mind I feel it should group like my target rifle with my 5-25 leupold on it in McMillan a5 stock. But I know I’m being very unrealistic, shot it again today and it did awesome. Just have to focus on fundamentals and get used to grouping with a 3x9 !!!!!

Comment

Skunk is absolutely correct.

I mixed up M852 for M80 Ball.

Your groups look good and nice to know you would be able to use "common" ammo and have a very practical rifle.

The M40 is probably my favorite rifle for its simplicity. Not a lot of extra stuff and it isnt a total pig in the weight department....

Ive been playing too much lately with a Win Mod 70 project and a shotgun toy while neglecting my M40.

You have motivated me to reacquaint with it.

Comment

Awesome to hear it’s got you motivated again, I agree it’s tough to beat the m40 in every department to me it’s the perfect bolt rifle. History, looks, practical and function!

Comment

I want to shoot in quantico vintage sniper match 2022. Planned on 2021 but rifle wasn’t finished for last one, any info or direction on how to register or advice will be appreciated! Also what are y’all’s thoughts on bedding this rifle? If I get it bedded I want it right? Don’t know enough about bedding. Is it the same as bedding McMillan stock vs. a walnut? I know a guy that beds McMillan and manners stocks, but didn’t know if he could do old school walnut correctly? Maybe thinking to much into it.

Comment

Pillars would be best. You could use the “old school “ bedding compound with them if you wanted to. Mine shoots great un-bedded. I only torque the screws before I shoot it and loosen them when I am done shooting.

Comment

The M40 Vintage match rules, at Quantico, are fairly liberal, but pillar bedding isn't one of those 'things' they allow.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for sharing bud. You can always do better

Comment

Working...
                            X