Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M40 build almost done, have some final questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M40 build almost done, have some final questions?

Hi, I need help with the following: Sling swivel or mount? I believe the original M40 had sling mounts. If so best place on line to purchase? Scope mount and rings? What do you recommend and where on line to purchase? I believe the butt plate is just an Rem 700 buttplate? And finally, magazine floor plate? Where and what is good substitute? Thank you so very much. Alfonso

The Vietnam era M40s used:
    - Wichita sling swivels, threaded front and wood screw-in rear. You can actually contact Wichita Arms directly and order them.
    - Redfield 700 base and low 4-screw rings. Vintage Redfield parts can be found on eBay occasionally. Badger Ordnance also made a repro base and rings set (sharp corners on the base like the originals), but are not in production so you’d have to search if anyone has a set for sale.
    - Butt plate is the aluminum Remington plate, number 16601. These also pop up on eBay occasionally.
    - Bottom metal is just factory BDL hinged floorplate. Find an earlier set with smooth finish if you can, as they’re better quality than the current crinkle finish BDL floorplates.

Comment

• Fonz13
      Fonz13 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think these would be them correct:https://www.ebay.com/itm/38430147756...kAAOSwo0NhAvYU

• kft101
      kft101 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, that’s as close as you can get with the original vintage parts without finding and paying for the super rare Redfield base with the squared edges. I think they were 40X bases, instead of the more common SA 700 bases like the one in the eBay listing, but someone correct me if I’m wrong.

A bit on the pricy side but I guess that is to be expected. Does that price point seem fair to you? $239.

Comment

• kft101
      kft101 commented
      Editing a comment
      The base is nothing special. Redfield SA 700 bases are pretty common and go for around $30 to $50 on average from what I’ve seen.

The date stamped rings are what makes the set pricey. If they’re authentic, 1960s dated and stamped rings do go for higher than the same rings made later, which don’t have any date stamps, as the real M40s did use the 1960s made rings. If you look at prices for other same model rings, you can tell what they go for on average. Up to you whether the 1960s dated rings are worth the premium.

Thank you

Comment

Pictures, this is useless without Pictures!!!

Comment

Pictures coming soon

Comment

Working...
        X